Sungha Jung

Uh, yea, it has!

I don't want to sound mean spirited but this is not incredible - I have yet to see anything from this young man that has been written or transcribed by himeself. That he can play is undisputed. However he lacks the maturity to put any 'emotion' into what he is playing... Sadly, he is a product of the tab generation who appear to play flawlessly the work of others but are yet to show us what they can really do when pushed to create something that is truly their own. And when they do, it is usually limited to a simple compositional frame that is both predictable and lacking imagination...Sorry but this is not genius and clearly doesn't float my boat. If it works for you then hey, that's fine too.

Nicely played with good intonation and stucture, note perfect. The boy has long fingers he will probably do well. He is young and should be proud of his skill he will no doubt find his own creative style in the future. Pick on someone your own size Mr Howlett.

I see this in other performance arts as well. Not all players are creators, nor do they have to be. Segovia wasn't a composer either, but he did have a way of injecting his personality into his playing of other people's music. With time, I'm sure Sungha Jung will too if he sticks with it.

I don't want to sound mean spirited but this is not incredible - I have yet to see anything from this young man that has been written or transcribed by himeself. That he can play is undisputed. However he lacks the maturity to put any 'emotion' into what he is playing... Sadly, he is a product of the tab generation who appear to play flawlessly the work of others but are yet to show us what they can really do when pushed to create something that is truly their own. And when they do, it is usually limited to a simple compositional frame that is both predictable and lacking imagination...Sorry but this is not genius and clearly doesn't float my boat. If it works for you then hey, that's fine too.

The kid learned most of his repertoire by ear, and has composed a number of pieces already. They are all on his youtube account.
He is the only one to have covered Rafferty's arrangement of Billie Jean, for example.
Here's the playlist for his compositions: http://www.youtube.com/jwcfree#p/c/2BB87472606B8CC0

edit: link doesn't seem to work, go to his channel and click on Playlists

I consider it a duty to myself to try to always be positive...Negativity is energy draining and if continued, will eventually foster sickness and lead to other negative events, situations, and occurrences in one's life...:D

Top Bottom