Solid cardboard ukulele! :D

ukeCANjam

Reaction score
One Thanksgiving night, a certain person was bored. All he had was cardboard, a knife, and hot glue gun. Suddenly he had an epiphany! He would make a cardboard ukulele!

Specs:
Total time : 4 hours
Size : Tenor, 19 frets
Wood : Solid Cardboard
Inlays : Sharpied on

I don't have any extra strings or tuners so I don't know if it actually works! :(

Attachments

• DSC01768.JPG
    DSC01768.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 341
  • DSC01760.JPG
    DSC01760.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC01763.JPG
    DSC01763.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 244
  • DSC01766.JPG
    DSC01766.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC01767.JPG
    DSC01767.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 297
This looks like so much fun! This has the potential to launch into an entirely new genre of ukulele hobbyists.

Haha! That's awesome!!

One Thanksgiving night, a certain person was bored. All he had was cardboard, a knife, and hot glue gun. Suddenly he had an epiphany! He would make a cardboard ukulele!

Specs:
Total time : 4 hours
Size : Tenor, 19 frets
Wood : Solid Cardboard
Inlays : Sharpied on

I don't have any extra strings or tuners so I don't know if it actually works! :(

That is TOO cool. I want to see a double neck. ;)

Don't use strings! Rubber bands would be the way to go, I think. You might have to reinforce the neck though.

–Lori

Don't use strings! Rubber bands would be the way to go, I think. You might have to reinforce the neck though.

–Lori

How come not strings? And wouldn't it be hard to turn rubber bands? :uhoh:

I already stuffed the neck with tissue, and reinforced it with some duct tape, so its pretty strongs. :p

How come not strings? And wouldn't it be hard to turn rubber bands? :uhoh:

I already stuffed the neck with tissue, and reinforced it with some duct tape, so its pretty strongs. :p
Are you looking for slightly playable, or amazing wall hanger? The tissue might help on strength, and duct tape is always a good idea, but a good broomstick might give you enough backbone to handle a tuned string. Rubber bands can make a musical sound without too much tension on the structure. Getting the right gauge rubber bands will be a challenge though. The good side is that they come in colors!

If it's just for looks, and air uke playing, well, you can use anything you like for that.

Just my:2cents:–Lori

Are you looking for slightly playable, or amazing wall hanger? The tissue might help on strength, and duct tape is always a good idea, but a good broomstick might give you enough backbone to handle a tuned string. Rubber bands can make a musical sound without too much tension on the structure. Getting the right gauge rubber bands will be a challenge though. The good side is that they come in colors!

If it's just for looks, and air uke playing, well, you can use anything you like for that.

Just my:2cents:–Lori

I actually want it to be playable ::rolleyes:, that would be really cool.

yeah, I am thinking about adding support to the neck. Any ideas for tuners?

Thanks for all your info :D

I actually want it to be playable ::rolleyes:, that would be really cool.

yeah, I am thinking about adding support to the neck. Any ideas for tuners?

Thanks for all your info :D

I guess it depends on what you have. If you had some old geared tuners, you could hot glue those on. Short of geared tuners, I think it will be hard to make friction tuners that will stay put. So, I would go super low tech, and maybe glue in dowels, with holes drilled like real tuners. But instead of turning the pegs to tune, you shorten the rubber band string by knotting it or clamping it. This is truly a great experiment, and no telling what will really work until you try it out. I am sure you will get better ideas as you go along. Keep taking photos of your progress. Even the failures will be interesting.

–Lori

I guess it depends on what you have. If you had some old geared tuners, you could hot glue those on. Short of geared tuners, I think it will be hard to make friction tuners that will stay put. So, I would go super low tech, and maybe glue in dowels, with holes drilled like real tuners. But instead of turning the pegs to tune, you shorten the rubber band string by knotting it or clamping it. This is truly a great experiment, and no telling what will really work until you try it out. I am sure you will get better ideas as you go along. Keep taking photos of your progress. Even the failures will be interesting.

–Lori

I only have one ukulele at the moment, so no extra parts :(
I sorta made this ukulele to have something else to play with and satisfy my UAS :)

For sure, I'm gunna try different things to get it right, and take pics.

Here are some videos that are interesting to this topic :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-81mTWw-qRw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aCFfqMyI-M

Local hardware store. Anybody knows what they are, just ask them. Also get two nuts and washers for each one. You'll understand what to do when you see them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom