Hand made Goncalo Alves Soprano

Treebased

Reaction score
a tiny wheat field town in eastern Washington
Hi Everyone;
Recently joined up after lurking a while, thought I'd attempt to sell my soprano ukulele, need to move up to tenor for comfort, ease of playing.
Been a guitar player for years and the soprano is just hard to fret with my big hands.
This one is in nearly perfect condition, though I have been playing it a lot, it has no serious scratches, nicks or dings, all solid Goncalo Alves body, mahogany neck with maple binding, finger board and tortoise purfling.
Gold frets and white friction tuners.

I'm looking to get just enough out of it to offset materials for a tenor, probably 6 string, so $200 plus shipping. I don't have a case for it, but can order one for a fee for shipping.
It plays very nice, action is 7/64" across at the 12th, this one has only 13 frets total and utilizes a zero first fret, bone nut and saddle. Hand rubbed varnish finish.
DO feel free to ask for additional photos and questions ( hope these pics look ok?!,some I took outside, one inside with note.
Since this is my first post in the marketplace, let me know if I need to add/delete anything.
I am the maker, mostly acoustic guitars, but some nice ukes now and then.
private message or email is fine,. and thanks for looking.

001-8.jpg

033-1.jpg

038.jpg

028-1.jpg

wow :drool:...if this was a concert my wife would kill me

Yeah I see why JT, very cool, thanks for the comment too.

If it were a concert, I might be more inclined to keep it, ...maybe, but some of the tenors I've seen here and a couple I made are a better fit for me right now. I think a nice 6 string tenor would be really nice;)

thanks for looking- Nick

That is a fine looking instrument. I am looking forward to hearing how it sounds. Out of curiosity, are you willing / able to make instruments for others (by commission, of course)?

That is a fine looking instrument. I am looking forward to hearing how it sounds. Out of curiosity, are you willing / able to make instruments for others (by commission, of course)?

Yes Sir, I do, I am fairly new to the UU and am not sure of posting policy and rules of discussion regarding sales, any info required, simply PM or email me for details and site link. I sure do not wish to abuse this informative forum as some sites I am a member of do not allow posting of sales without sponsorship. URL link in my personal info.
Thanks for the reply

That is a really tempting uke. I love the moon sound hole! Really beautiful wood too. I like your style. Looks like the headstock has an interesting inlay. It might be nice to have a closer shot of that. I am not familiar with that wood. How does it compare to the more traditional "ukulele" woods? A sound sample would help.

That is such a good price! Somebody is going to get a good deal.

:love:Trying to resist.... –Lori

Thanks Lori,
The head stock wood is Goncalo Alves from the same set of stock as the back/sides/top. Tonally I feel Goncalo is somewhere between Claro and Rosewood, although harder than walnut, it tools nicely and produces a sweet and mellow sound, but then it really depends on so many other things, it's tough to say.
Here is a better shot of the head stock with a maple (full) moon and a dead tree made of ebony slivers. I just decided a round sound hole is too common, maybe, I don't really know, but the moon-scape-theme seemed appropriate and turned out nice.

003-8.jpg

This is the actual set used for this soprano, (if you look at the end highly figured part of the back plates you'll see where the head stock originated.
It is commonly called Tigerwood and truthfully looks a good bit like Koa. Thanks for looking and commenting everyone. I'll work on producing some sound tomorrow.
010-4.jpg

Very nice. I to love the moon sound hole. :drool:

Hi Everyone.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that replied to my post, the comments were all very appreciated and made me feel very welcome.
I apologize for not providing a sound clip of this soprano, I'm trying to set up for quality recording.
Looking forward to a new tenor!!;)

Top Bottom