uk homeoffice charges! grrrrr

raecarter

Reaction score
36 quid for my kala concert to be delived from the customs office the robbing bast*@&s still Tuesday I get my solid mahogany kala concert

Did you buy from outside the EU, then? Surely SUS or other stores in the UK can supply Kalas, with no additional charges?

Enjoy your new uke. "You're worth it!"

John Colter.

Did you buy from outside the EU, then? Surely SUS or other stores in the UK can supply Kalas, with no additional charges?

John's absolutely right. Why buy from outside the EU? There are a couple of dozen good uke shops in Europe. But you can buy a Kala from even the smallest music shop in any town in the UK. You may have to order it (couple of days).

Most of what you had to pay was VAT. This is 15% on top of the cost of the uke and the shipping.

That's the right spirit - don't dwell on it. Divide the extra charges by the hundreds of weeks enjoyment your uke will give you, and the extra cost, per week, is negligible.:music:

You're gonna love that Kala!

John Colter.

ive never played one

But I love my kala already I've put a capo on a guitar with only 4 strings so I can experiment the patterns

But I love my kala already I've put a capo on a guitar with only 4 strings so I can experiment the patterns

That's very interesting/clever. Does it work well?

its functional

Obviously it doesn't sound like a uke but capo'd on the 5th I cdma learn sliding rythmn chord shapes etc

Just curious, how much was the post office handling charge? I've been charged as much as £13.50 in the past.

I have to agree though that unless it is something that you can't buy in the UK, it is safer to buy in the UK or Europe. I have bought several guitars from Japan but they have been Orville by Gibsons or Fender Japan which are hard to get at a reasonable price in the UK so the savings have been considerable even after the duties have been paid.

Ian.

luck of the draw i find - sometimes they get caught, sometimes they dont. on the whole, they dont (in my view) bump price all that much higher than expensive uk equivalent (and for some instruments that you cant get in the uk, perhaps that is a small price to pay).

What does get my goat though is post office handling charges for giving you a card, and taking your money...

Just curious, how much was the post office handling charge? I've been charged as much as £13.50 in the past.

I have to agree though that unless it is something that you can't buy in the UK, it is safer to buy in the UK or Europe. I have bought several guitars from Japan but they have been Orville by Gibsons or Fender Japan which are hard to get at a reasonable price in the UK so the savings have been considerable even after the duties have been paid.

Ian.

To get a parcel from the US to the UK you will pay the following. If Parcelforce get hold of your package you will pay an £8 admin fee (£16 if it was send express). Similar with PO delivery. You will also pay 3.2% duty and 15% VAT on top.

Worst case: a £70 ukulele might cost you over £134.

The only major factory-made ukes that you cannot easily get in Europe now are the K's from Hawaii.

Buy a Fluke, for instance, from Exquisite in the south of France and the only extra you will pay is 10 euros shipping (£9).

Top Bottom