PDA

View Full Version : Ukulele Skills and Levels on this site

haolejohn
11-28-2009, 06:17 PM
OK. In this holiday season that is all about Giving and being thankful (to me anyways) I can't help but notice the wealth of ukuleles that I own. Why do i need so many? Why did I spend so much money on my ukuleles? I know, I know all about UAS but come on do I really need so many? I have been watching some videos of some of my UU friends and I will say that I am amazed at their talent level. I mean come on they rock. Here I am with over 3,000 tied up in my ukuleles (worth more than 6xs my car) and I can barely play them. Couldn't my money be spent on better things??? I know that if I practiced more I'd be better but truthfully I don't have the time to devote like I'd want. I do have the time to plink around and I play everyday but I just can't sit down and practice for an hour at a time. the only time I am sitting for more than 20 minutes is in traffic. I guess what I am getting at is who else is blown away at the talent on this site? So many ukers here could be professional musicians IMO. I always say that I am either the best bad player or the worse good player that there is. i like quality (hence my uke collection) and I know that I'm just an average player but I like posting videos. I also know that I am blown away by the talent here. Am I being greedy and do I really need so many ukuleles? Anyone else understand my grief???

Nuprin
11-28-2009, 06:36 PM
i like quality (hence my uke collection) and I know that I'm just an average player

I feel the same way about myself! I like quality but don't really feel like I deserve it compared to some other ukers on this board!

haolejohn
11-28-2009, 06:38 PM
I feel the same way about myself! I like quality but don't really feel like I deserve it compared to some other ukers on this board!

Yeah. Now you are pretty good yourself. I guess being raised by a guitar player that always had a nice electric and not too bad acoustics made me appreciate quality instruments. I just know that my current financial state or playing level warrents my collection.

Lori
11-28-2009, 07:00 PM
I know what you mean. But, on the other hand, each ukulele is a object of art. Even the plastic ones have a pop design vibe to them. Many people collect cool things that don't do anything (just decorative like stuff with cows, Christmas ornaments, baseball cards, whatever), and others collect radios, cookie jars, posters, toasters or salt shakers. Those collections don't require any participation from the collectors except maybe displaying it all.

Musical instruments are special since they can be a work of art, and also create more art. I think it is nice you can appreciate both sides of the object, the beauty of it's design, and the sounds you can make using it. Someday, you will have the time to practice more, but you are truly appreciating and enjoying your collection in a more involving way that those other collectors. So don't feel too bad about it. Shopping, collecting, and playing are all fun activities. It's all good.

–Lori

clayton56
11-28-2009, 07:44 PM
in lots of hobbies, collecting takes the place of actual using, because the hobbyist just doesn't have the time, but instead dreams about it when they are busy with other things. Don't feel you don't deserve the stuff - if you paid for it, you deserve it by definition.

If you become a full-time ukulele player, you might make a decision about your favorite type of uke, then just use that one. But until then, enjoy your collection.

haolejohn
11-28-2009, 07:48 PM
in lots of hobbies, collecting takes the place of actual using, because the hobbyist just doesn't have the time, but instead dreams about it when they are busy with other things. Don't feel you don't deserve the stuff - if you paid for it, you deserve it by definition.

If you become a full-time ukulele player, you might make a decision about your favorite type of uke, then just use that one. But until then, enjoy your collection.

I'm not a collector. All my ukes get played. Well actually only two right now but that is beside the point. I just think I am being Greedy when a laminate uke would make me just as happy as my sceptre (well not really but you get the jest). I play everyday I just don't have an organized and structured practice time. I'd like to sale them all but the only ones I have left are sentimental to me. Except my 2 makala dolphins and kala soprano.

Citrus
11-28-2009, 08:24 PM
meh, I wouldn't feel too bad. What has be irritating me is how green with envy I get when I here other ukers do anything better than me. I know it's horrible but a lot of times I see a video and I just think to myself "man they're so awesome I need to be like that"

thejumpingflea
11-28-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm not a collector.

Yes you are.

You are saying you have too many nice ukes and that they all have sentimental value. I hate to break it to you, but you most definitely are an ukulele collector and have a very respectable collection.

I think it is really cool that you love the uke so much to want all these different ones. The fact that they all get played is really a cool thing. I enjoy seeing your posts and videos. I also love reading on your thoughts on ukuleles and seeing the pictures of your new ones! I don't know what you have to feel badly about.

micromue
11-28-2009, 08:45 PM
I'm not a collector. All my ukes get played. Well actually only two right now but that is beside the point. I just think I am being Greedy when a laminate uke would make me just as happy as my sceptre (well not really but you get the jest). I play everyday I just don't have an organized and structured practice time. I'd like to sale them all but the only ones I have left are sentimental to me. Except my 2 makala dolphins and kala soprano.

Interesting point. I never thought of my instruments in terms of "deserving by skill". On the other hand, if you were right, I shouldn´t drive the car I drive, shouldn´t inhabit the appartment I live in and most definitely should downsize to another girlfriend.:D
BTW, if people would only by ukes according to their skill level, there wouldn´t be much sceptres out there. They are amazing.;) Enjoy it!

Teek
11-28-2009, 10:01 PM
I feel your pain. ;)

I'm currently downsizing and upgrading at the same time, I figured out what I like and I am enjoying it, however lacking in skill. I have two ukes that are delightful to play, both are Ks and just hitting open strings is a joy to me so there is nothing wrong there. I have a lot of stuff I am selling to downsize, I'm past the general acquisition stage and want to neaten up my life and "stuff". I just have such neat stuff it's hard, especially since I was an antiques dealer and an artist. Both require tools and inventory.

I'm down to 3 ukes if I don't count the sopranos (4 more, all vintage, two I paid $20 each, two $75 each if you don't count shipping), which are hardly worth selling. They all tickle me silly. Considering all the books, art, Arts & Crafts era furniture and cool antiquities I've let go, I don't feel too bad about 4 ukes. That's enough to share (that's what the sopranos and cigar box are for).

If you made the money and bought the ukes, you deserve them. If you made the choice to drive a beater so you could have nice ukes, that's your right to prioritize. As long as the power bill, rent, and food bills are covered... it's not a problem. :D

If you are really feeling guilty, maybe you could buy or find (yardsale, craigslist, Fleabay) some cheaper but decent ukes, and give them to some kids who want to play. Spread the joy!

phanzo
11-28-2009, 10:15 PM
John, you know where to find me if you need to shuffle off some of that "guilt."

Maybe just one of the Meles??? :confused: :p

I'm also pretty decent at baby-sitting KoAlohas :love: ....just sayin' :music:

mrUKETOBER
11-28-2009, 10:15 PM
im with you on this john ! there is so much talent on this site it makes me giggle like the school girl that i am .. i am pround and honored to know some of these amazing musicians ! i can only hope to meet and someday be a fraction as good as all of you ! i love you all and when i win the lottery one day i will buy you all the ukes you want ! :)

grappler
11-28-2009, 10:29 PM
Nothing wrong with having a lot of ukulele's sir. I only have 3. I play only 1 of them and been playing for nearly 3 years. I never got into the UAS. I just don't like picking favorites and for me, it takes a lot of time adjusting from the feel from 1 uke to another. Thats why i don't have many.
There is SO many talent on this site. I am amazed.
I don't think your being greedy. If it makes you happy buying ukuleles, then keep on doing so. You have a mighty fine collection too.
All the best man!

mrUKETOBER
11-28-2009, 10:45 PM
nothing wrong with collecting nice ukes at all ! just put me in the will for the sceptre ! :D

Pippin
11-29-2009, 12:22 AM
One of the things I did recently was sell all but two of my guitars. I kept my Martin and my Fender Stratacoustic. I love to play both of those guitars. I might buy a solid-bodied guitar at some future time, but I am also partial to archtops and might end up with one of those instead.

Buying and selling musical instruments is just part of the life of a musician. That is just the way it is.

In ukuleles, I have a bunch of them, but I am also in the business of writing about them, recording, songwriting, etc... I use many of them because on one song or another I want a particular sound. I also "share" the ukulele love, though. So, I don't feel a purchase is unwarranted. I do look at every musical instrument as an investment.

One thing for "collecting" uke players to keep in mind is that some ukulele hold there value and some don't, some are good investments and some are not. Some are good for stage performance and some are not. Consider that before making big investments.

Gaby
11-29-2009, 12:43 AM
When I started reading this thread, I thought haolejohn was going to to give one of his ukes away to a hot player in need of an upgrade... that surely would get rid of any guilt feelings :p

Rainhill
11-29-2009, 01:47 AM
I feel your pain. ;)

If you made the money and bought the ukes, you deserve them. If you made the choice to drive a beater so you could have nice ukes, that's your right to prioritize. As long as the power bill, rent, and food bills are covered... it's not a problem. :D

I'd add to that - if you love em, you dont owe em anything else. It doesnt matter about skill level or how often you play. If they make you smile then they're worth everything you think you've traded for them. Personally I've seen you play on YT, and it made me smile, so you're not as bad as you make out. Wait till you see my vids......:rolleyes:

But if you have a Makala Dolphin going spare.......:D

Rainhill
11-29-2009, 01:56 AM
im with you on this john ! there is so much talent on this site it makes me giggle like the school girl that i am .. i am pround and honored to know some of these amazing musicians ! i can only hope to meet and someday be a fraction as good as all of you ! i love you all and when i win the lottery one day i will buy you all the ukes you want ! :)

Not to blow smoke up your .... mate, but you're a seriously good player yourself. Mines a sopranino :p

nohandles
11-29-2009, 02:18 AM
I am a collector and I have 16 ukes now. Over half are high quality ones and the others were purchased to see if I wanted to invest in better ones. I have every one I ever got even the one that is so beat up that it can hardly be played. It was given to me 46 years ago when I was a kid. Plus a banjolele I found in the trash 25 or so years ago. I completely restored it and even used really calf skin for the head. I play the heck out of that one at the old time festivals.
I would consider myself an intermediate/ advanced player. I need no justification to buying another one just want it is good enough for me. I love wood instruments. All of mine get played pretty often. The 2 Kanile'a's get played every day. My wife has finally gotten the bug to play so she likes my super concert. I like my soprano the best of all.
Like the old adage, How many Ukulele's do you need? One more.
Over the 30 years of playing seriously I've found 2 kinds of musicians. The one who just can't have one and the other who is satisfied with just one.

ukantor
11-29-2009, 02:49 AM
An old man put an advert in my local newspaper, to sell his soprano ukulele. He had reached a very big age, and could no longer play. Thinking it might be something really desirable, I went to see him. He showed it to me, and proudly explained that he had owned the uke since he was a young person. It was the only uke he had ever owned. He had played it all his life, until his creaking fingers could play no more.

It was the worst uke I have ever seen. How anyone could regard it as a musical instrument was beyond me. It looked as though it had been made from firewood by someone who didn't care, then blinged-up with a bit of tatty inlay work. I felt so sad that this man had never known what it was like to own a good ukulele - or even a half decent one. He had played that piece of junk all his life.

Well, my fellow UUers, we have a duty to see it doesn't happen to us! I need one more uke, just to be sure I'm not missing out on something.

John Colter.

hoosierhiver
11-29-2009, 04:01 AM
Think of your home as a "ukulele preserve", where they are loved and cared for.

On a different tangent, when I read the title of this thread, my mind instantly thought this must be the plans for some ukulele video game where you have to master some new playing technique and slay a dragon before progressing to each next level. and Yes, I know I'm weird.

Melissa82
11-29-2009, 04:06 AM
An old man put an advert in my local newspaper, to sell his soprano ukulele. He had reached a very big age, and could no longer play. Thinking it might be something really desirable, I went to see him. He showed it to me, and proudly explained that he had owned the uke since he was a young person. It was the only uke he had ever owned. He had played it all his life, until his creaking fingers could play no more.

It was the worst uke I have ever seen. How anyone could regard it as a musical instrument was beyond me. It looked as though it had been made from firewood by someone who didn't care, then blinged-up with a bit of tatty inlay work. I felt so sad that this man had never known what it was like to own a good ukulele - or even a half decent one. He had played that piece of junk all his life.

Well, my fellow UUers, we have a duty to see it doesn't happen to us! I need one more uke, just to be sure I'm not missing out on something.

John Colter.The old saying goes: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

DeG
11-29-2009, 04:25 AM
Think of the ukes as your children and you as their parent and see if want you're feeling still makes sense:

"OK. In this holiday season that is all about Giving and being thankful (to me anyways) I can't help but notice the wealth of Children that I have. Why do i need so many? Why did I spend so much money on my Children? Do I really need so many? I have been watching some other parents and I will say that I am amazed at their parenting skills. I mean come on they rock. Here I am with over $3,000 tied up in my Children (worth more than 6xs my car) and I can barely play them. Couldn't my money be spent on better things??? I know that if I practiced more I'd be better but truthfully I don't have the time to devote like I'd want. I do have the time to plink around and I play everyday but I just can't sit down and practice for an hour at a time. the only time I am sitting for more than 20 minutes is in traffic. I guess what I am getting at is who else is blown away at the talent on this site? So many Parents here could be Dr Phil IMO. I always say that I am either the best bad parent or the worst good parent that there is. i like quality (hence my family) and I know that I'm just an average parent but I like doing stuff with my kids. I also know that I am blown away by the talent here. Am I being greedy and do I really need so many Children? Anyone else understand my grief???"

You don't have to be the best parent/player in the world to raise your kids/enjoy your ukes properly. Just do your best, give them love and you'll be OK.:)

(btw, I don't actually consider Dr Phil = professional parent, but it was all I could come up with. :D)

Ronnie Aloha
11-29-2009, 05:27 AM
Great response. I have more than I need myself but they call get played...and played badly!

However, I look at them as works of art beyond their musical capabilities (or mine.)

Lori
11-29-2009, 06:33 AM
And remember, you are helping the economy by buying ukuleles, or anything else. And, the more popular ukuleles become, more new models get developed to further stimulate the market. I love seeing new ukuleles, and I love the variety in styles, sizes, and materials.

I find that my ukulele hobby of shopping, buying and playing is a very good stress reliever. Whenever I get overwhelmed by the bad stuff in life, I shift my thoughts to the ukulele world, and I am relieved for a short time. Everyone needs something like that in their life.

–Lori :music:

natsumi
11-29-2009, 10:09 AM
On a different tangent, when I read the title of this thread, my mind instantly thought this must be the plans for some ukulele video game where you have to master some new playing technique and slay a dragon before progressing to each next level. and Yes, I know I'm weird.

Mainland could make the first x-box/playstation-compatible ukulele controller. I'm sure someone would design a game to go with it. ;)

Pippin
11-29-2009, 11:54 AM
And remember, you are helping the economy by buying ukuleles, or anything else.
–Lori :music:

Yes, It's your patriotic duty to buy ukuleles. :D

seeso
11-29-2009, 12:01 PM
I totally thought of video games and levelling up when I saw this thread title.

I always say that you should get the best ukulele you can afford. If it happens to be a Moore Bettah custom, so be it.

haolejohn
11-29-2009, 12:13 PM
I totally thought of video games and levelling up when I saw this thread title.

I always say that you should get the best ukulele you can afford. If it happens to be a Moore Bettah custom, so be it.

Well to be honest all I did this last week was play ukulele and NCAA Football 2010. I did sleep in everyday until noon but I also stayed up every night until 3:30. It is nice being off work for a week.

haole
11-29-2009, 12:19 PM
Sometimes I feel about owning two Hawaiian K-brands and wanting a Moore Bettah when I kinda suck at the ukulele. Once UAS is recognized by doctors as a legitimate medical condition, I'll feel a little better about it. ;)

DeG
11-29-2009, 01:20 PM
... Once UAS is recognized by doctors as a legitimate medical condition, I'll feel a little better about it. ;)

Me too, as long as MGM participates with my health insurance :D

ukecantdothat
11-29-2009, 01:24 PM
I, too, thought you were up to some sort of give-away here - free ukes to the hottest players - like they need it!

Hey, I have a friend who is so filthy rich (through no effort of his own) that he just gives it away to charities to free himself of the guilt, and to indulge himself, collects stringed instruments - guitars, basses, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, fiddles, banjos - and yet, strangely, no ukes! He barely plays a note on any of them. I keep telling him he should get some ukes, so I can borrow them whenever I want and return them whenever I feel like it, but for some reason he's hesitant. For him, a nice uke collection would just gather dust (and probably double in value, knowing this guy). At least you can play the goddamn things!;)

And, yes, the level of talent on this site is stunning, with or without you having all the good ukes!

haolejohn
11-29-2009, 01:28 PM
I, too, thought you were up to some sort of give-away here - free ukes to the hottest players - like they need it!

Hey, I have a friend who is so filthy rich (through no effort of his own) that he just gives it away to charities to free himself of the guilt, and to indulge himself, collects stringed instruments - guitars, basses, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, fiddles, banjos - and yet, strangely, no ukes! He barely plays a note on any of them. I keep telling him he should get some ukes, so I can borrow them whenever I want and return them whenever I feel like it, but for some reason he's hesitant. For him, a nice uke collection would just gather dust (and probably double in value, knowing this guy). At least you can play the goddamn things!;)

And, yes, the level of talent on this site is stunning, with or without you having all the good ukes!

One day I'll bless someone with some of my ukes but with my nicer ones it'll have to be a face to face exchange. If that makes any sense??

Faricelli
11-29-2009, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by haole View Post
... Once UAS is recognized by doctors as a legitimate medical condition, I'll feel a little better about it.

I don't understand why UAS has not been recognized. I think we need to make more people aware of this condition. I have fell so low, that I have started making ukes out of cigar boxes. Now, I find my self wandering into cigar shops searching for that perfect box.

freedive135
11-29-2009, 01:42 PM
What this thread made me think of...

Do I deserve a nice T-bone steak when 60/40 hamburger & helper will do?
Should I never have a lobster unless I catch it with my own hands?
Drink Bacardi instead of a fine top shelf Rum?

Everyone deserves what ever they want and can afford, as long it doesn't affect the other things in there life...

Are you short changing others in your life to have what you want then stop!!!
If not then pass me the butter and steak sauce!!!!!!

DeG
11-29-2009, 01:42 PM
I don't understand why UAS has not been recognized. I think we need to make more people aware of this condition. I have fell so low, that I have started making ukes out of cigar boxes. Now, I find my self wandering into cigar shops searching for that perfect box.

When you start making them out of cigarette packs, then you've fell low. Cigar boxes are perfectly acceptable :D

haolejohn
11-29-2009, 01:57 PM

Do they charge for the cigar box?

haolejohn
11-29-2009, 02:01 PM
What this thread made me think of...

Do I deserve a nice T-bone steak when 60/40 hamburger & helper will do?
Should I never have a lobster unless I catch it with my own hands?
Drink Bacardi instead of a fine top shelf Rum?

Everyone deserves what ever they want and can afford, as long it doesn't affect the other things in there life...

Are you short changing others in your life to have what you want then stop!!!
If not then pass me the butter and steak sauce!!!!!!

This is a great point but think about this.
I can afford to buy myself 2 nice ukuleles a year.
Or...
I could take that same money and buy 20 kids an ukulele.
or...
I could donate that same money to a charity or treat a homeless person to a dinner. I am not going to brag about my charitable deeds to society b/c I believe that I am to do good in secret and not look for praise.
I really don't know what i am going through right now. Even if i saved my ukulele money it would get spent somewhere else. It is just this time of year makes me reflect on my actions and what not. I told my wife the other day that the only thing I spend on myself is 2 ukuleles a year. I also like a nice steak and lobster but I refuse to pay for lobster.

haolejohn
11-29-2009, 02:02 PM
When you start making them out of cigarette packs, then you've fell low. Cigar boxes are perfectly acceptable :D

LOL!! DeG you always get me.

ukecantdothat
11-29-2009, 05:19 PM
... I also like a nice steak and lobster but I refuse to pay for lobster.I'll bet the lobsters will be glad to hear that!:D

KC8AFW
11-29-2009, 06:10 PM

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15244&highlight=cigarette

buddhuu
11-29-2009, 11:33 PM
I went through the instrument collecting thing, but it was never that I wanted a load of instruments. I was always looking for that one instrument that worked for me. It didn't have to be amazing, it just needed to satisfy and not disappoint. You might think that is an easy thing to find, but it isn't always so easy when your options are all at the budget end of the spectrum.

With mandolins I never quite found it. There are still a couple of instruments I'd like to try in the budget range - The Loar 600 or 700 perhaps (never tried them), or another Kentucky KM-1000 or another Eastman (I tried both of them before and they came close). If none of those ticked the doesn't-disappoint box I would conclude that it was perhaps not possible to find what I want below the level of a Collings MT or a Gibson A9 (both still comparatively very modest instruments, but out of my reach).

My current mando, a Kentucky KM-505 is really very good, but it does have its minor problems with action and frets.

Ah, but ukuleles... I started out with a Makala dolphin, which was fun. Then I got a Stagg Concert, which as nice enough after some work on the intonation (misaligned bridge), but still had minor niggles.

Third time lucky! My simple Kala solid mahogany tenor does not disappoint on any level. It sounds nice, it has spot-on intonation and action, and plays soooo smoothly and easily.

It isn't flashy or expensive, but I love it. Modest though it is, it has achieved that magic thing - it has no aspect that leaves me slightly disappointed. I am totally satisfied. Therefore, I don't need to collect more ukes in order to find what I like.

For a while I thought I needed a Kala acacia, but gradually I realised that actually I don't. They are lovely, but I'm fine with my existing Kala.

The only reason I might buy another uke would be to have a different size (concert) as some things are a bit of a stretch for my smallish hands, and maybe to keep one tuned high G and one tuned low G. But that isn't a pressing need.

My level of competence at playing doesn't justify owning a great ukulele, nor does it justify owning a lot of ukuleles.

The same is true with mandolins, but I am still pining for a mandolin that satisfies as well as my modest Kala ukulele does. Somehow, though, I doubt I'll ever be able to afford one! LOL :D

The number of string instruments I own now is probably the lowest it's been for a decade. I have my one main uke plus a couple of Makala beaters, one mandolin, one fiddle and now NO guitars at all!

But I can totally understand people who collect nice instruments. Some of the axes out there are beeeeeautiful. :drool:

ukantor
11-30-2009, 01:05 AM
How would you define a "collector"? I have around a dozen ukes (one concert - the rest, sopranos), but don't consider myself a collector. All but one of mine are modern ukes, and I bought, or made them, simply because I wanted each one, at the time.

To me, a collector has an overall aim - to collect old Hawaiian made ukes; to collect Martin ukes; to collect Gibsons; to buy as an investment, etc. A collector has a mental wish-list, and is seeking to tick 'em all off.

There is no pattern or structure to the way I acquire ukes. It's just a matter of, "Oooh! I want one of those-----------".

Perhaps I'm just a collector with a small "c", and the serious guys are "Collectors".

Ukantor.

spots
11-30-2009, 04:08 AM
I think Haolejohn raises some interesting, and good, points.

It's always tough to have these discussions because people see things very differently in terms of economics, use of resources, the impact an individual makes, etc.

Some instrument woods are becoming scarce, and there is concern in some circles about how long certain woods will be available. In these circles there has been a search to find alternative woods and materials. Musicians can't turn a blind eye to such situations. They have to make a conscious effort to help and be part of the solution or everyone suffers.

I believe that if we want these wonderful solid wood instrument to be there for future generations; then each of us has an obligation to be conscious of our purchases today and the impact our purchases have upon resources for future players.

Wagster
12-01-2009, 11:59 AM
This is a great point but think about this.
I can afford to buy myself 2 nice ukuleles a year.
Or...
I could take that same money and buy 20 kids an ukulele.
or...
I could donate that same money to a charity or treat a homeless person to a dinner.

Luckily, you are not limited to just one of these. You could rotate the option each year.

On a side note.....I'm guessing that this is how Deach got started.

:cool:

thejumpingflea
12-01-2009, 12:02 PM
How would you define a "collector"? I have around a dozen ukes (one concert - the rest, sopranos), but don't consider myself a collector. All but one of mine are modern ukes, and I bought, or made them, simply because I wanted each one, at the time.

To me, a collector has an overall aim - to collect old Hawaiian made ukes; to collect Martin ukes; to collect Gibsons; to buy as an investment, etc. A collector has a mental wish-list, and is seeking to tick 'em all off.

There is no pattern or structure to the way I acquire ukes. It's just a matter of, "Oooh! I want one of those-----------".

Perhaps I'm just a collector with a small "c", and the serious guys are "Collectors".

Ukantor.

If you own more than a dozen of anything, (except maybe socks!) than I would call you a collector. :)

leftovermagic84
12-01-2009, 02:00 PM
If you own more than a dozen of anything, (except maybe socks!) than I would call you a collector. :)

I actually have a thing for goofy socks...:o