Ukulele Skills and Levels on this site

haolejohn

Reaction score
OK. In this holiday season that is all about Giving and being thankful (to me anyways) I can't help but notice the wealth of ukuleles that I own. Why do i need so many? Why did I spend so much money on my ukuleles? I know, I know all about UAS but come on do I really need so many? I have been watching some videos of some of my UU friends and I will say that I am amazed at their talent level. I mean come on they rock. Here I am with over 3,000 tied up in my ukuleles (worth more than 6xs my car) and I can barely play them. Couldn't my money be spent on better things??? I know that if I practiced more I'd be better but truthfully I don't have the time to devote like I'd want. I do have the time to plink around and I play everyday but I just can't sit down and practice for an hour at a time. the only time I am sitting for more than 20 minutes is in traffic. I guess what I am getting at is who else is blown away at the talent on this site? So many ukers here could be professional musicians IMO. I always say that I am either the best bad player or the worse good player that there is. i like quality (hence my uke collection) and I know that I'm just an average player but I like posting videos. I also know that I am blown away by the talent here. Am I being greedy and do I really need so many ukuleles? Anyone else understand my grief???

i like quality (hence my uke collection) and I know that I'm just an average player

I feel the same way about myself! I like quality but don't really feel like I deserve it compared to some other ukers on this board!

I feel the same way about myself! I like quality but don't really feel like I deserve it compared to some other ukers on this board!

Yeah. Now you are pretty good yourself. I guess being raised by a guitar player that always had a nice electric and not too bad acoustics made me appreciate quality instruments. I just know that my current financial state or playing level warrents my collection.

I know what you mean. But, on the other hand, each ukulele is a object of art. Even the plastic ones have a pop design vibe to them. Many people collect cool things that don't do anything (just decorative like stuff with cows, Christmas ornaments, baseball cards, whatever), and others collect radios, cookie jars, posters, toasters or salt shakers. Those collections don't require any participation from the collectors except maybe displaying it all.

Musical instruments are special since they can be a work of art, and also create more art. I think it is nice you can appreciate both sides of the object, the beauty of it's design, and the sounds you can make using it. Someday, you will have the time to practice more, but you are truly appreciating and enjoying your collection in a more involving way that those other collectors. So don't feel too bad about it. Shopping, collecting, and playing are all fun activities. It's all good.

–Lori

in lots of hobbies, collecting takes the place of actual using, because the hobbyist just doesn't have the time, but instead dreams about it when they are busy with other things. Don't feel you don't deserve the stuff - if you paid for it, you deserve it by definition.

If you become a full-time ukulele player, you might make a decision about your favorite type of uke, then just use that one. But until then, enjoy your collection.

in lots of hobbies, collecting takes the place of actual using, because the hobbyist just doesn't have the time, but instead dreams about it when they are busy with other things. Don't feel you don't deserve the stuff - if you paid for it, you deserve it by definition.

If you become a full-time ukulele player, you might make a decision about your favorite type of uke, then just use that one. But until then, enjoy your collection.

I'm not a collector. All my ukes get played. Well actually only two right now but that is beside the point. I just think I am being Greedy when a laminate uke would make me just as happy as my sceptre (well not really but you get the jest). I play everyday I just don't have an organized and structured practice time. I'd like to sale them all but the only ones I have left are sentimental to me. Except my 2 makala dolphins and kala soprano.

meh, I wouldn't feel too bad. What has be irritating me is how green with envy I get when I here other ukers do anything better than me. I know it's horrible but a lot of times I see a video and I just think to myself "man they're so awesome I need to be like that"

I'm not a collector.

Yes you are.

You are saying you have too many nice ukes and that they all have sentimental value. I hate to break it to you, but you most definitely are an ukulele collector and have a very respectable collection.

I think it is really cool that you love the uke so much to want all these different ones. The fact that they all get played is really a cool thing. I enjoy seeing your posts and videos. I also love reading on your thoughts on ukuleles and seeing the pictures of your new ones! I don't know what you have to feel badly about.

I'm not a collector. All my ukes get played. Well actually only two right now but that is beside the point. I just think I am being Greedy when a laminate uke would make me just as happy as my sceptre (well not really but you get the jest). I play everyday I just don't have an organized and structured practice time. I'd like to sale them all but the only ones I have left are sentimental to me. Except my 2 makala dolphins and kala soprano.

Interesting point. I never thought of my instruments in terms of "deserving by skill". On the other hand, if you were right, I shouldn´t drive the car I drive, shouldn´t inhabit the appartment I live in and most definitely should downsize to another girlfriend.:D
BTW, if people would only by ukes according to their skill level, there wouldn´t be much sceptres out there. They are amazing.;) Enjoy it!

I feel your pain. ;)

I'm currently downsizing and upgrading at the same time, I figured out what I like and I am enjoying it, however lacking in skill. I have two ukes that are delightful to play, both are Ks and just hitting open strings is a joy to me so there is nothing wrong there. I have a lot of stuff I am selling to downsize, I'm past the general acquisition stage and want to neaten up my life and "stuff". I just have such neat stuff it's hard, especially since I was an antiques dealer and an artist. Both require tools and inventory.

I'm down to 3 ukes if I don't count the sopranos (4 more, all vintage, two I paid $20 each, two $75 each if you don't count shipping), which are hardly worth selling. They all tickle me silly. Considering all the books, art, Arts & Crafts era furniture and cool antiquities I've let go, I don't feel too bad about 4 ukes. That's enough to share (that's what the sopranos and cigar box are for).

If you made the money and bought the ukes, you deserve them. If you made the choice to drive a beater so you could have nice ukes, that's your right to prioritize. As long as the power bill, rent, and food bills are covered... it's not a problem. :D

If you are really feeling guilty, maybe you could buy or find (yardsale, craigslist, Fleabay) some cheaper but decent ukes, and give them to some kids who want to play. Spread the joy!

Last edited:
John, you know where to find me if you need to shuffle off some of that "guilt."

Maybe just one of the Meles??? :confused: :p

I'm also pretty decent at baby-sitting KoAlohas :love: ....just sayin' :music:

im with you on this john ! there is so much talent on this site it makes me giggle like the school girl that i am .. i am pround and honored to know some of these amazing musicians ! i can only hope to meet and someday be a fraction as good as all of you ! i love you all and when i win the lottery one day i will buy you all the ukes you want ! :)

Nothing wrong with having a lot of ukulele's sir. I only have 3. I play only 1 of them and been playing for nearly 3 years. I never got into the UAS. I just don't like picking favorites and for me, it takes a lot of time adjusting from the feel from 1 uke to another. Thats why i don't have many.
There is SO many talent on this site. I am amazed.
I don't think your being greedy. If it makes you happy buying ukuleles, then keep on doing so. You have a mighty fine collection too.
All the best man!

One of the things I did recently was sell all but two of my guitars. I kept my Martin and my Fender Stratacoustic. I love to play both of those guitars. I might buy a solid-bodied guitar at some future time, but I am also partial to archtops and might end up with one of those instead.

Buying and selling musical instruments is just part of the life of a musician. That is just the way it is.

In ukuleles, I have a bunch of them, but I am also in the business of writing about them, recording, songwriting, etc... I use many of them because on one song or another I want a particular sound. I also "share" the ukulele love, though. So, I don't feel a purchase is unwarranted. I do look at every musical instrument as an investment.

One thing for "collecting" uke players to keep in mind is that some ukulele hold there value and some don't, some are good investments and some are not. Some are good for stage performance and some are not. Consider that before making big investments.

Last edited:
When I started reading this thread, I thought haolejohn was going to to give one of his ukes away to a hot player in need of an upgrade... that surely would get rid of any guilt feelings :p

I feel your pain. ;)

If you made the money and bought the ukes, you deserve them. If you made the choice to drive a beater so you could have nice ukes, that's your right to prioritize. As long as the power bill, rent, and food bills are covered... it's not a problem. :D

I'd add to that - if you love em, you dont owe em anything else. It doesnt matter about skill level or how often you play. If they make you smile then they're worth everything you think you've traded for them. Personally I've seen you play on YT, and it made me smile, so you're not as bad as you make out. Wait till you see my vids......:rolleyes:

But if you have a Makala Dolphin going spare.......:D

im with you on this john ! there is so much talent on this site it makes me giggle like the school girl that i am .. i am pround and honored to know some of these amazing musicians ! i can only hope to meet and someday be a fraction as good as all of you ! i love you all and when i win the lottery one day i will buy you all the ukes you want ! :)

Not to blow smoke up your .... mate, but you're a seriously good player yourself. Mines a sopranino :p

I am a collector and I have 16 ukes now. Over half are high quality ones and the others were purchased to see if I wanted to invest in better ones. I have every one I ever got even the one that is so beat up that it can hardly be played. It was given to me 46 years ago when I was a kid. Plus a banjolele I found in the trash 25 or so years ago. I completely restored it and even used really calf skin for the head. I play the heck out of that one at the old time festivals.
I would consider myself an intermediate/ advanced player. I need no justification to buying another one just want it is good enough for me. I love wood instruments. All of mine get played pretty often. The 2 Kanile'a's get played every day. My wife has finally gotten the bug to play so she likes my super concert. I like my soprano the best of all.
Like the old adage, How many Ukulele's do you need? One more.
Over the 30 years of playing seriously I've found 2 kinds of musicians. The one who just can't have one and the other who is satisfied with just one.

An old man put an advert in my local newspaper, to sell his soprano ukulele. He had reached a very big age, and could no longer play. Thinking it might be something really desirable, I went to see him. He showed it to me, and proudly explained that he had owned the uke since he was a young person. It was the only uke he had ever owned. He had played it all his life, until his creaking fingers could play no more.

It was the worst uke I have ever seen. How anyone could regard it as a musical instrument was beyond me. It looked as though it had been made from firewood by someone who didn't care, then blinged-up with a bit of tatty inlay work. I felt so sad that this man had never known what it was like to own a good ukulele - or even a half decent one. He had played that piece of junk all his life.

Well, my fellow UUers, we have a duty to see it doesn't happen to us! I need one more uke, just to be sure I'm not missing out on something.

John Colter.

Top Bottom