In desperate need of help...

Pessh

Reaction score
So i'm thinking of learning to play, but I have no idea what I need. What Ukulele should I get? What type should I get? Soprano? What else do I need?

I don't play any other instruments, and have no idea what i'm doing, so any help or advice would be much appreciated.

I would think you will need a entry level uke. A soprano or concert.
I don't know if you are a man or woman, large small? That would help determin the size of instrument. Hard to say on the instrument some folks have plenty of money to spend some have almost none.
Also need something to tune it with. Pitch pipe, electronic tuner.
A uke book for learning chords, maybe Mel bay or Jim Belof.

I would think you will need a entry level uke. A soprano or concert.
I don't know if you are a man or woman, large small? That would help determin the size of instrument. Hard to say on the instrument some folks have plenty of money to spend some have almost none.
Also need something to tune it with. Pitch pipe, electronic tuner.
A uke book for learning chords, maybe Mel bay or Jim Belof.

Thanks for the reply. How important is size? As for the instrument, money isn't really an issue but i'd be reluctant to spend too much considering it will be my first instrument. Advice on any particular brands/manufacturers would also be useful.

Thanks for the reply. How important is size? As for the instrument, money isn't really an issue but i'd be reluctant to spend too much considering it will be my first instrument. Advice on any particular brands/manufacturers would also be useful.
If you really don't know what you want, I'd suggest starting with a concert. You can use it with low or high g and have it sound fine and it will give you a feel to see if you prefer a smaller or larger uke. I only say this because once you get your first uke, you are sure to want more. I have an Ohana CK-25 and it is my first but everyone tells me it's one of the best for a beginner and I've been told it sounds similar to a mainland and kala.

I'd like to ask where are you located and if there are any music shops within driving distance? If you have the chance to try the different sizes, you'll more than likely find the size most comfortable for you. If you're using the internet to shop, there are several vendors who can assist you. MGM carries more instruments than you can imagine. You can also get a Mainland from hoosierhiver. You can also check with Uke Republic. Another accessory you'll probably need is a tuner and for protection a case.

If money isn't an issue then I would go with a Mainland. They are WONDERFUL instruments and for the price, very hard to beat. I would suggest a concert as well, bc they are easier to play and allow for more versatility IMO.

If the Mainland is too expensive for you, then I would go with something a bit cheaper like an Oscar Schmidt or (even cheaper) a Makala, which have a pretty good reputation 'round these parts. I actually have an Oscar Schmidt OU-5 Koa concert that I have been trying to sell. It was my 2nd uke and it did a GREAT job of fueling the addiction. You can see the .

I'm not trying to push my own sale onto you, just letting you know what is out there.

I definitely suggest getting an electric, chromatic tuner. I have always used the Korg CA-30 but I have a clip-on one coming with my new Mainland on Wednesday; I have read great things about them.

As far as books and such go, I've never really found a need for them. I have a couple that have sat on shelves pretty much since the day I got them. Everything you could ever want is available online.

Back to the uke shopping, my main advice is to take what people have suggested and watch as many YouTube videos as possible. Check out videos of Mainlands, Kalas, etc. Pay attention to what size is being played. Compare videos of sopranos vs concerts etc.

Now don't take the sound in a video as the "gospel." Every uke will have a slightly different sound and there are SO many variables in the recording process that it is hard to get a perfect read on an instrument without playing it yourself. But it will certainly give you a good foundation. Just my :2cents:

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any questions :)

As far as books and such go, I've never really found a need for them. I have a couple that have sat on shelves pretty much since the day I got them. Everything you could ever want is available online.
Pretty much. I've only bought one book, John King's "Classical Uke", because I wanted his arrangements. A pocket sized chord book that fits in your case might be nice to have.

Buy a ream of paper and a couple extra black ink cartridges, you're going to need them. :p

I download more than I print, and I'll take things for a test drive on my PC to decide if I want to print them or just save them for a later date, but for serious practice I prefer to do without the background noise the PC makes.

It's nice to have chord charts and tabs printed out for portability and ease of marking them up. Plus, when the power goes out, I can just clip a battery operated book light on my music stand and I'm good to go for hours in the dark. :)

Plus, when the power goes out, I can just clip a battery operated book light on my music stand and I'm good to go for hours in the dark. :)

Seriously...How often does that happen:)LOL!!!

OK. I recommend the concert size as well. I also recommend a solid wood type and since you said money isn't an option i'd look at in this order:
1. Mele (makes a Hula line which is a great beginner)
2. Mainland- a little less expensive than a mele but not made by hand. Also there isn't a student line yet (keeps fingers crossed)
3. Koalana-KoAlohas student line
4. Kala-Great instruments and largest maker in the industry I believe
4. Any other brand that is out there.

The main difference in sizes will contribute to sound and volume. Obviously a larger body should give you more volume but that isn't always the case. The necks get bigger with the different sizes and that leads to more room for fingers. Are you going to play with other people (like guitars)? If so you might want a concert or tenor. All sizes are equally easy to play imo. Whatever you start with you will adjust. I play a soprano, soprano with concert neck, a concert, and a tenor. i have dabbled with baritones but i gave up the guitar a few years ago. I recommend a clip on tuner b/c outside noise will not interfere with tuning. A case is a good thing as well.

Seriously...How often does that happen:)LOL!!!
More often than we'd like, unfortunately. All it takes is some high wind and the power can be knocked out for hours. We usually get hit several times during the winter storm season.

During the summer heat when everyone's cranking the A/C it often goes out as well. The power companies have a "flex your power" ad campaign to discourage people from running appliances unnecessarily during peak usage times (e.g., wait til off-peak hours to run your washer, dryer, dishwasher, etc.).

Then there are "rolling blackouts" where they cut power to certain areas for a few hours to keep a grid from being overloaded when demand is particularly high. They give no warning or notice. Sucks to get stuck in an elevator when one happens.

Our house is 100 years old and the electrical infrastructure in the neighborhood is even older. We seem to be in a particularly bad spot on the grid, as often when it's dark here you can see that lights are on a block away. :(

----------------------

Oh, yeah, and the Eno 3000 tuner does both clip and mic with settings for chromatic, guitar, bass and violin. The only negative comment I've ever seen about it is that it's a tad bulkier than some of the more expensive clip-only ones that don't even offer a mic feature. At $20 I think it's a real bargain. :)

Edit to say:

Pros - Even though it may be slightly bulkier than a tuner that doesn't even have a mic funtion, it's still a fraction of the size/weight of my old trusty Boss TU-12, which is like a brick in comparison. Plus, it's straight on accurate when compared to the Boss. Mine also came with a spare battery.

Con - I wish it came with some kind of protective covering or carrier case to keep the display from the possibility of being scratched, but I had an extra drawstring Oakley sunglass pouch which is perfect for it. The fabric is made to not scratch a delicate surface, so you can use the pouch to wipe off any accidental fingerprints. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom