need help

you can get a button at ukuleleworld.com

I recently got one for this purpose, but I needed a gold/brass one to match my uke hardware -- I'll have to double check where I got it. I also did something a little different with the strap, as I wanted something very small/light as the straps I kept finding were huge and ugly. I'm not where I can get a picture, but I'll update this thread when I get home in a couple hours with some pics and info.

Here are some pics of the strap and button I used. The 'strap' is actually sold as a ladies' belt at a friend's shop (African Corner in Fountain Valley, CA). I wanted something simple, lightweight, unique and relatively narrow -- it hardly has to support much weight anyways.

I did not want to drill thru the back of the uke, and the part that I think is called the 'heel' was not quite big enough to accomodate the strap button. Since this particular strap does not have a big flap of leather or other material to attach to the button, but rather somewhat small (I'll guess approx 1/8" waxed string, I am able to mount the button right up against the neck, allowing just enough clearance to attach the strap end. This also ensured that the mounting screw went thru to the block on the inside. It actually landed just a shade closer to the neck than I had planned, but once I add a soft washer (I like nuke's recommendation in his strap button install video above) this will no longer be an issue, for the time being the button 'just' touches the neck.

NOTE: If you are using a regular guitar-type strap/end (usually a flap of leather with a slot in it), then this arrangement will probably not suit you as the button is too close to the neck to get that type of strap attached.

As for the other end, I had installed a Fishman AG pickup, which gave me a button on that end (chrome, for which I had to track down a gold/brass colored trim ring, to match the rest of the hardware on the uke).

This combo gives me a unique and attractive strap that is plenty strong for what it has to do, without having to use a relatively bulky guitar strap. Mandolin straps are also an option, as they are generally narrower as well. There are also 'classical guitar' type straps that you can use, which don't require buttons at all as they hook into the soundhole with a rubber or padded hook, but they are not 'hands off' straps, and if you let go with both hands to play your favorite ZZ Top tune, your buddy will probably take a dive.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents, I probably forgot somthing, but that's what edits are for -- Good luck and have fun!

p.s. WELCOME ABOARD!

100_0871-1.jpg

100_0879.jpg

100_0878.jpg

100_0876.jpg

Top Bottom