PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have thoughts about the new Riptide Ukes?

Faricelli
11-29-2009, 03:02 PM
I have been thinking about getting the deluxe concert model. It is about 400 bones at MGM. I am looking for a decent electrified uke. I like the idea of the sound hole on the riptides being off set. This would probably help to eliminate some feed back. I just don't know if I like the looks. I might just install a pick up in my Koaloha.

haolejohn
11-29-2009, 03:11 PM
I have been thinking about getting the deluxe concert model. It is about 400 bones at MGM. I am looking for a decent electrified uke. I like the idea of the sound hole on the riptides being off set. This would probably help to eliminate some feed back. I just don't know if I like the looks. I might just install a pick up in my Koaloha.

The riptides are laminates right? Or is that the Nalus? They look good but installing a pick-up in the KoAloha is cheaper and you would then have a better uke than the riptide.

bbycrts
11-29-2009, 07:49 PM
I can't get past the looks on the Riptides. Especially putting the word Riptide right under the strings. Ick.

HoldinCoffee
11-29-2009, 08:18 PM
I like the placement of the sound hole... and the one on the side. At least in theory, more soundboard is available to vibrate. Its a good theory. Other than that, I have no opinion yet on Boulder Creek's Ukulele.

Lori
11-30-2009, 05:19 AM
I like the sound hole idea, both front and side. Not crazy about the logo on the soundboard, but it isn't a deal breaker if I loved everything else. I am not a big fan of amp controls on the side of ukuleles, and these knobs look more clunky than others I have seen. It would be interesting to hear what they sound like.
:2cents:
–Lori

RevWill
11-30-2009, 06:09 AM
I would like to have the top end model with the solid mahogany top and that pickup-preamp system with the built-in tuner.

Hankthetank
11-30-2009, 06:19 AM
They are only made for righties so that eliminates those for me.

haolejohn
11-30-2009, 07:25 PM
As soon as UkeRepublic gets them in he is calling me to let me test drive them. Once that happens I'll post my initial thoughts. I am intrigued by the soundhole idea.

joehempel
11-30-2009, 07:57 PM
That thing looks pretty interesting...but then again I've always been drawn to the things that are just a bit different. If I had the cash I might have bought one.

phanzo
11-30-2009, 08:25 PM
I can't get past the looks on the Riptides. Especially putting the word Riptide right under the strings. Ick.

I agree, I wanted to hold off until Mike (UkeRepublic) got the butter cream tenors in, but the more I looked at them, I really didnt like the Riptide logo being all flashy, right behind the strings. Some may like, it just wasnt my thing.

I also wasn't very impressed by the sound of the spruce top that MGM had a video of. I just looked and he posted a new vid 2 days ago of a mahogany, which admittedly has a much nicer sound (IMO) but I am still happy that I went ahead and ordered my Mainland instead of waiting around for one of these.

Sambient
12-01-2009, 01:13 AM
They are only made for righties so that eliminates those for me.

See, I just figured those would be a good uke for me to not have to hear myself playing too much. Heh.