Fish or Cut Bait

Moore Bettah Ukuleles

Reaction score
I don't often post my new work but I'm making an exception for this one. For some reason everyone has been wanting koi lately and this is the fourth koi uke I've done in a row. Hopefully it will be a long time before I'm inlaying another fish. I've begun sprouting gills.
(Better pics on my web site if you care to bother. This is the best I know how to do here.)

thats purdy!!:D whats up with the bottom?

Wow, that is some amazing work, Chuck.

Okay, that seals it... Some day, Chuck, I'm going to own one of your instruments.

That one is absolutely gorgeous.

--Mark

Believe it or not, that's far less inlay than the customer wanted. The most amazing thing is the sound though. The koi actually swim around the sound hole while it's being played!

WOW- Just WOW!

I don't know how you do it, but you are seriously from another planet. Your work is inspiring. That is one incredible instrument AND piece of art. Excellent work as always.

Oh and I agree, would have looked better with a slotted headstock... ;)

(NOT REALLY!)

I want it. I did tats for a few years and always enjoyed doing the koi... in fact I have one on my leg. That uke rocks like a.. umm rocker, inspiring. What kind of woods are in that rope and fretboard binding? Looks kinda like paduak ebony maple. I got some paduak waiting for when I don't suck so bad. Fish or cut bait... yep, love it.

Wow, that is so beautiful in so many ways. I love the pointy end and all the inlay around it. Like that creamy colored neck, too...is that maple?.

Oh and BTW, how would you inlay an entire koi pond on a slotted headstock. I like it just the way it is. so what do you do to get the koi to swim while you play, stick a quarter in the SSP?:drool::rock::worship::shaka:

The koi actually swim around the sound hole while it's being played![/QUOTE said:
Yes I bet, and they swim to the soundhole when you sprinkle food in there.....

:D

The wood purfling is actually four different woods. In order they are Ebony, rosewood, redwood and pear and bound with .010" white and black fiber. The neck is Spanish cedar, reinforced with carbon fiber. Extremely light wood and easy to work with. Pore filling requires many applications however.
Giving an inlay artist a slotted headstock is like giving Monet a picture frame to paint on.

Awesome work as always. That binding is out of sight. I carved out a spanish cedar neck yesterday, it's a three piece with walnut in the center. The dadgum thing drifted at the scarf joint when I clamped it up so the stripe is a hair off there. Another jig to build. I'll be glad when I'm done building jigs.
Thanks for the info on the pore filling. I probably should have bought a bigger can cause I've got a lot of spanish cedar, love that stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom