Anyone try this Stagg solid body electric uke?

VixDee

Reaction score
Well, I'm newly addicted to the uke and I'm bothering everyone in the house with my late night practicing. So, I've started looking into solid body electric ukes that I can plug earphones into at night.

I've looked at the RISA uke-solid and the Eleuke. I like the small size of the RISA, but I like the built-in pre-amp on the Eleuke. Anyone know which of these gives the most authentic "uke sound". I'm not really into distortions and heavy metal stuff like that. I'm just looking for a quiet practice uke.

Which brings me to my question. I noticed a bunch of solid body electric ukes on ebay by Stagg. I can't find any reviews on the web or sound samples on YouTube. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks for the help

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-STAGG-EUKL-SB-LP-STYLE-ELECTRIC-UKULELE-SWEET_W0QQitemZ320421259686QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9a9869a6#ht_3463wt_1167

I love it!

I recently bought one of these to play in my reggae/rock band. I was originally using an applause acoustic/electric which never really gave me the volume I wanted without feedback. I really enjoy the Stagg. It doesn't really sound like a uke, but I play though a variety of effects pedals anyway, so it doesn't make a difference to me. For the price, the quality is great. I have had no problems, and it looks awesome! After shows, people are always saying, "awesome mandolin, dude!". I always have to correct them that I play the uke.

I messed around with some at a local shop. The seem pretty nice. I thought the fretboard was wide for a soprano scale, which I liked the wideness. I have been on the fence about getting some sort of electric uke for 'silent' practice. I bought an Eleuke knockoff from ebay and was not impressed with it, and sent it back.

Wow, it's good to hear that they're good ukes.
Though, how was the action?

I've owned the Risa electric soprano and currently have a concert Eleuke.
I like them both very much, though they have their pros and cons (in my opinion)

-The Risa is superbly made. I think they're actually made in Germany (or elsewhere in Europe).
The action is one of the best I've ever tried on a uke. Very very comfortably low. And it sounded pretty good through an amp and responded well to effects and distortion if desired. On a clean signal, it sounds more ukey than an Eleuke.
But I didn't like the friction tuners by preference. They are good quality friction tuners, but I simply don't really like friction tuners in general (don't have the fine motor skills and the patience).
And while the passive pickup has very good output on a guitar amp, it did not work well plugged directly into a mixer/PA system. Apparently you need to run passive instruments through an external pre-amp or a DI-box.
Something I could not bother getting for the sake of plugging my one passive instrument to a system (it seemed more worth it to get an electric uke with built-in preamp). DI-Boxes don't cost that much though.

Otherwise, it's a great little instrument with so much durability you could probably even use it as a self-defence weapon. A lot better than the Eleuke in terms of build quality and quality control.

-I really do like my Eleuke, and ended up sticking with it due to "looking better" than the Risa uke-stick and most of all, its built-in preamp which gives it a far more powerful and fuller sounding signal plugged directly.
However, mine did come with a high action and the fretboard felt rather dry (possibly the shop's fault). I had to lower the action by sanding the saddle myself. I'm not terribly good at doing this, as this caused the middle strings to sound louder than the outer strings on the amp, and I spent another few good frustrating hours trying to balance the strings out. Right now, the balance is pretty good, except for the G string sounding a bit softer if you're fussy.
In terms of sound, it is quite different to a uke. It sounds more like an electric guitar. But I like this sound nevertheless - it is quite versatile to different kinds of effects and a lot of fun to play aruond with. It has knobs for tone and volume, which is another major advantage over the Risa (and they work quite well). Plus the headphone jack is a good bonus (though the included headphones suck).
I hear that they upgraded their quality control in the current models, and now they also come with mp3 input. I keep an "Amp u plug n play" (search on google if you don't know what that is) in the case, so I'm ready to rock wherever I take it.

I really love electric ukes. Currently saving up for the Risa steel-string electric tenor uke.
I always thought electric guitars were kinda cool, but have no desire to learn to play a guitar. I'm taking the ukulele route to electric instruments!

As for these Staggs, maybe I'll get one if my Eleuke breaks and I need a replacement :)

Last edited:
Seriously consdering one of these as an option. Don't know that I'm wanting an acoustic/electric or just electric. It is something I can play lefty, controls are on the face.
It'd certainly cost me way less than a lefty acoustic/electric would.

I bought an Electric Pineapple from Eleuke and love it. I had a mo name ebay special electic uke which needed some work to the nut to make it playable and the eleuke is much better. I bought the newer model from Eleuke which has the MP3 function which is fun.

Top Bottom