music theory...the necessary evil

ukulelegal

Reaction score
far away from others who play ukulele...it sucks
I can't stand just reading music theory...it's like doing math...it's driving me nuts. I understand that I need to learn it in order to put together chords solos, transpose etc...but isn't there a fun way to learn it? Isn't there a video game or something that teaches music theory? Help!!! :deadhorse:

I can't stand just reading music theory...it's like doing math...it's driving me nuts. I understand that I need to learn it in order to put together chords solos, transpose etc...but isn't there a fun way to learn it? Isn't there a video game or something that teaches music theory? Help!!! :deadhorse:

Not really but if you get a piano theory book it will make more sense. I played guitar and uke for years never could wrap my head around it. The piano being so linear in structure just makes it easier.

It would be interesting to find out how beneficial knowing Music Theory is to those who really do know/understand it. Also, how did you come to learn Music Theory?

I played saxophone in Jr Hi, so I could read music... then. But I never learned Music Theory.

I thought I wanted to learn so I tried the book route. It was confusing without a mentor/ teacher to help explain the relative significance of all those facts.

I tried to learn to play the piano in college, but that didn't last too long. I ended up memorizing the pieces instead of really reading the music. I didn't learn Music Theory then either.

OK, so here I am, basically a play-by-ear ukulele player, and it's serving me well. My concern re: Music Theory is that it seems descriptive vs prescriptive. That is, when I'm trying to figure out the chords to a song/melody, it seems to me that Music Theory can describe what the composer had done, but it doesn't necessarily help me figure out what the next chord should be.

Anyway, what I've found to be helpful is to play with others, learn from websites like doctoruke.com, and see how others have used chord combos and progressions to support various melodies. Once you learn how they sound and what you might be able to do with them, you'll have developed a mental treasury of chords and chord combos that you'll be able to transpose and use for your own purposes.

Music theory was invented by nerds, in an attempt to explain what musicians do.;)

John Colter.

When I decided to learn Music Theory,
I got Music Theory Made Easy by David Harp,
http://www.davidharp.com/non_har_musicbooks.html

and the Complete Idiots Guuide to Music Theory

http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Book/...e_to_Music_Theory,_2nd_Edition_Michael_Miller

I went through MT Made Easy a few times till I was at the Idiots level, then I started on CIGMT. It's still reading but it is the simplest way I could find. It really helped me understand what was happening in music and in comunicating with others about music.

Music theory was invented by nerds, in an attempt to explain what musicians do. Oooo K...... :p Um...I do play by ear...What I really want to be able to do is listen to a song and know what chords are being played. Then I want to be able to form a solo based on those chords....Don't I need to know chord composition to do this?

MT helped alot with knowing which chords are being used. Esp The Idiots Guide.
Diff styles use diff sets of chords and certain chords sound better after others. I'm still a novice at MT but that's good enough for me.

Last edited:
Music theory was invented by nerds, in an attempt to explain what musicians do.;)

John Colter.

ain't that the truth

in my opinion music theory isn't necessary, it just helps
music's more about spontaneity and feeling then it is about theory and structure
those are just kind of guide lines

again, just my opinion

What I really want to be able to do is listen to a song and know what chords are being played. Then I want to be able to form a solo based on those chords....Don't I need to know chord composition to do this?

If all you're looking to do is solo, you need to know your scales. To understand scales, you've got to know theory.

Have you seen Howlin' Hobbit's beginner guide? Or the guide right here on UU?

LOL...that's what I thought....:bowdown: yes, thanks for the links...i just wish there was some other way to learn it besides reading theory...wouldn't it be cool if there was some kind of software that would teach it to you in a fun way?

LOL...that's what I thought....:bowdown: yes, thanks for the links...i just wish there was some other way to learn it besides reading theory...wouldn't it be cool if there was some kind of software that would teach it to you in a fun way?

There's a great online resource that I always use. It involves animation and stuff, so it's not just straight reading, but I don't know how fun you'd think it is.

http://musictheory.net/

OK, so here I am, basically a play-by-ear ukulele player, and it's serving me well. My concern re: Music Theory is that it seems descriptive vs prescriptive. That is, when I'm trying to figure out the chords to a song/melody, it seems to me that Music Theory can describe what the composer had done, but it doesn't necessarily help me figure out what the next chord should be.

That's absolutely untrue. I don't know what theory you've been learning but for help in figuring out chord sequences you need to be looking at something called functional harmmony. Google for it.

Top Bottom