Any clue what this is?

emilyb

Reaction score
So I saw this lovely little banjolele on Craigslist today for $150. Maybe this is a stretch, but I'm wondering, can anyone tell anything more about the instrument from the image? The seller isn't a uke player (I'm assuming he's a luthier?) -- he told me that from the state of the previous skin head, which he replaced, it looked like it was from the 20s or 30s, but he wasn't sure of the brand or maker or anything more.

He's way out in the 'burbs, and I'm on a bicycle, so I'm hoping you guys might have some more insight before I try to wrangle a ride out there. I am such a sucker for a banjolele.

Thank ya!

3k13o63p65O45Q05Se9bqaf97dddcbcb81134.jpg

(the ad is here http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/1483226817.html but it doesn't say much more.)

I have one very similar but mine is copper plated on the tension ring and the pot is black. There is no name on it. It is really loud. I mostly play old time with it. Doug

I have one similar to this one. Mine has no name on it but from researching on the internet I think it is a Stromberg Voisinet. Your headstock looks like mine.

Do you guys like your old banjoleles? Does the price sound right? Do yours have resonators? How does a resonator change the sound?

I am such a newb.

Top Bottom