PDA

View Full Version : surf tenor fluke

SamJ1206
04-30-2008, 04:59 AM
what do you think about them?
im thinking of getting one. anyone have any comments about them?

Jacman Rasta Bicycle
04-30-2008, 05:43 AM
i have a Tenor fluke. it's a great ukulele, and i play it everyday. the Surf comes with a walnut neck (nice), and a rosewood fretboard (as opposed to the standard plastic).
plus the design is from The Tiki King.
buy it!

just my $0.02

NotoriousMOK
04-30-2008, 06:04 AM
I think they sound great, but are a bit pricey, especially considering the quality of traditional style uke you can get for the same dollar. But if your preference is the fluke style, rage on because that's a pretty nice one to get! I have more of a base-model fluke, and I darn sure wouldn't give it up.

Have fun!

Jacman Rasta Bicycle
04-30-2008, 09:03 AM
I think they sound great, but are a bit pricey, especially considering the quality of traditional style uke you can get for the same dollar...

agreed, you could get a really good sounding import for about the same price...the Flukes have a certain funkyness to them...

also, the price of a "plain" tenor Fluke w/rosewood 'board is $290. an extra $20 for the walnut neck and cool Tiki King design ain't bad.

SamJ1206
04-30-2008, 09:07 AM
i like the untraditional sound to them, i thin the whole idea of the fluke makes me want to play it, it seems more fun to sit and play an unusual uke wih a good design and a cherpy sound rather than a traditional uke, but i think thats just because i really dont know much about ukuleles and the fluke seems to be a well know popular brand

NotoriousMOK
04-30-2008, 10:50 AM
then you'll be very pleased, as those are some of the reasons I chose the fluke for my first. That was several years ago, and I still play it almost every day and really enjoy it.

So what are ya waitin' for ?????

tad
04-30-2008, 11:34 AM
i like the untraditional sound to them, i thin the whole idea of the fluke makes me want to play it, it seems more fun to sit and play an unusual uke wih a good design and a cherpy sound rather than a traditional uke, but i think thats just because i really dont know much about ukuleles and the fluke seems to be a well know popular brand

You should think about cigar box ukes, then, too.

Plainsong
04-30-2008, 02:35 PM
I loved my tenor surf Fluke. And it's now got a good home with someone who really makes it sing. If you like that sound, then I don't swing with the "it's too expensive" crowd, because it isn't. :)

UkuLeLesReggAe
04-30-2008, 07:03 PM
to be honest.. i dont like the flukes so much, i like the fleas though - they are nice.

The style of this particular fluke isn't to bad but im lovin' the tiki flea ukulele.

But if you were going to buy a fluke or a flea i think its worth the money to get a rosewood fretboard and not the stock strings.

tad
04-30-2008, 07:12 PM
But if you were going to buy a fluke or a flea i think its worth the money to get a rosewood fretboard and not the stock strings.

Well, if you're REALLY looking for value, better to buy it with stock strings and restring it yourself.

UkuLeLesReggAe
04-30-2008, 07:25 PM
how much wsud u save for that though?

tad
04-30-2008, 08:31 PM
how much wsud u save for that though?

Some places will charge fifteen, twenty bucks US for a simple restring. Strings'll cost you a couple bucks and ten minutes of work.

UkuLeLesReggAe
04-30-2008, 09:42 PM
really?

i honestly thought good strings were pricey.. obviously not - once i pay off my car, ukes and accessories are coming out of my wallet :D

cant wait haha

tad
04-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Worths are probably the most expensive, they'll run you up to round fifteen, but you get two sets per pack, so it's still not that bad.

SamJ1206
05-01-2008, 12:25 AM
ive orderd it now, tenor size with a rosewood fretboard and new strings
hope it was teh right thing to do

Ukeguy510
05-01-2008, 10:21 AM
Nice. I doubt you'll have any regrets. Let us know how you like it when it arrives :)