Ghetto Ukulele Contest #2

deach

Reaction score
Does your uke suck? Prove it!

Some guidelines:

-Go for the uke for yourself. If you think your friend need it, have him/her post directly.
-Pictures of your best uke may help.
-Videos of your uke playing could help.
-It may not be a great idea to post a huge essay. If I get bored reading it, it probably won't help.
-I will consider not only what's posted on this thread, but anything I may know about you from this forum is fair game.
-I will make the final decision on who to give it to. If you're interested in the uke, post something to convince me. It's open to everyone.

Deadline - Tuesday, December 15, 2009 9AM EST.

Prize
- A "well-loved" solid mahogany Nalu Tenor uke. http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19037

Thanks GX9901 for the contest idea!
Here's a link to the first contest. Linky

Last edited:
Darn...I should have left the 9th fret buzzing on my Oscar-Schmidt...don't I qualify just due to the manufacturer? :D

wow deach ! you are so rad ! you have no idea how much id love that uke ! wow ! it is beautiful and sounds like a dream ! nicer than any uke ill ever be able to buy lol ! i would like it because i cant afford to buy myself a really nice uke .. you have heard me play before .. if you would like me to post something of me playing here then let me know and i can do that :D i would really love something besides a laminate ... and that nalu i fell in love with when i saw it ! it makes me happy just looking at it ! i gave one of my ukes to my friend so he could learn too .. also a laminate lol ..

my ukes dont necessarily suck but... id say they are average ... there are alot of people out there though who could use it way more than me ! i hope this beauty goes to someone who will love it and give it a good home :D good luck everyone

Last edited:
I will consider not only what's posted on this thread, but anything I may know about you from this forum is fair game.
Hi, my name's Joe, I am 14 and I own a Shanghai Skylark uke made from plywood ("That's laminate!", you say, and I say "No, it's plywood."). The Koaloha review was done by a hacker who stole my account to keep me from entering any ghetto-contests. Pics on my account page have been put there by evil-doers who are trying to make me look like I have a decent uke. Trust me when I say I really need the Nalu. How much do they go for anyway? Just asking, not that I would sell it right away to my girlfriend or anything are you bored reading yet or should no let's leave it at this.

Great contest by the way. I sincerely hope that uke gets a worthy owner.

Ah yes, and let us live by rule 2.

:nana:

:bowdown: deach, you're awesome! Great contest! I think all I have to say is: "I have a Mahalo U-30 Soprano", but I'll elaborate. I'm pretty sure it's made out of the cheapest laminate known to mankind. No matter what I do, I can never get this sucker to play in tune. I put a ghetto capo (pencil and rubber bands) on the third fret to get a bit more tension. The 11th and 12th frets are dead. I think that's it... Thanks for letting me vent. I've been needing to get this off my chest for some time, now!

It can't suck more than being Ukeless!

Hello Deach,
You must be Santa in disquise. I just can't imagine anyone giving away a purty "well loved" solid mahogany Nalu Tenor uke or being so kind and generous. I'm new to the UU so please be sure to check out my intro here. My ukulele suck's because I don't own one. Good luck to all of you who enter and I hope you catch the wave. Deach... :rock: You Rock, Brother! :rock:

Life without a ukulele is like a home without a family

abandoned-house-detroit.jpg

It suck's!

:shaka: Dave (Pick me!)

Last edited:
picture of my junky ukulele
DSC00250.jpg

Dear Deach,

I believe I deserve to have that "Well-Love" Tenor Uke of yours. As you can see the picture of my junky ukulele above, I don't know what kind of wood it's made from. It's the cheapest ukulele here in our place only $2. Whenever I played that Uke it's goes out of tune most of the time and the fret buzz is horrible. I can no longer play and make a video of that uke 'cause I already gave it to a little kid last week.

Eventhough here in our place we have a lot guitar factories and luthiers. I don't have the money to buy a decent Uke yet. I wish could have a "well-love" Nalu Tenor Solid Mahogany Ukulele like that. I'm gonna play it 24/7, write songs and maybe join open mics here in our place.

Sincerely yours,
Christopher
Cebu, Philippines

Last edited:
I have a friend who is not a member here, nor does he even play the ukulele yet. But he was thinking that when he does start playing, he's pretty sure he'd want a tenor. He can't afford one now, and we can't afford to get him one now either.

He's going to be going through something kinda, well, unpleasant (to say the very least) soon (this month), so I wish wish wish that he could win this. I can send you a little more info privately if you want, but maybe this doesn't even constitute a contest entry.

Well, I just thought I'd ask.

Thanks for a great contest--you always rock. You just do.

CountryMouse

Last edited:
Awesome contest idea. I'm not eligible because I have 2 Mainlands. I have a Lanikai LU-21...but I still don't think it sucks.

Now, if I had a Mahalo with platinum tuners with diamond encrusted knobs strung with fishing line...and subs mounted in the back...rollin' on dubs. That would be off the heezy fo sheezy. :D

Hi, my name's Joe, I am 14 and I own a Shanghai Skylark uke made from plywood ("That's laminate!", you say, and I say "No, it's plywood."). The Koaloha review was done by a hacker who stole my account to keep me from entering any ghetto-contests. Pics on my account page have been put there by evil-doers who are trying to make me look like I have a decent uke. Trust me when I say I really need the Nalu. How much do they go for anyway? Just asking, not that I would sell it right away to my girlfriend or anything are you bored reading yet or should no let's leave it at this.

Great contest by the way. I sincerely hope that uke gets a worthy owner.

Ah yes, and let us live by rule 2.

:nana:

This might be my favorite post of all time:)

Dear Deach,

I think you of all people will understand what I'm going through right now. It's not that I don't love my uke. She's pretty, she has a decent sound, but... (clearing throat) well... I'll just say it. I've seen her with another musician. He's a member in my band actually. He was out on the back porch with her, strumming in a euphoria, unaware that I was witnessing this whole incident. I think if that's the decision she wants to make... I don't know... but I can't go on like this pretending it's not happening. I'm going to set things straight today, but I'd like this to be more than an end. I'd like it to be a turning point. Can you help me man?

In all seriousness though, I'm a 14 year old kid who has found recreation from this confusing world through a great little instrument. Let me rephrase that though: I NEED MY UKE TO CONTINUE LIVING. It's not a choice. It's almost as bad as my coffee addiction and I feel like I was meant to play this thing. My mom will tell you that I was up 'till about 2:00 am the day I got it and had already learned a few songs the next morning. Music is something that keeps me going (or keeps me up late). I don't know what I'd do without it in my life. I'd like to continue on and, while my current uke is decent, I'd like something that is capable of a little more. I know everyone's saying that they can't afford something like this, and you know what? It's so true! I hope everyone can find a way to find some joy even when it's a little hard to.

Thank you Deach. It's people with kind hearts like you that make this world feel a little closer

hi Deach,
-here's my entry-

ok, my uke is so ghetto...

('How ghetto is it?!', you ask?)

It's so ghetto that I got a custom "g-can" hard shell case for it....

ghettouke1f.jpg

ok, seriously, I started playing about 6 months ago and my first (and still only) uke is a Makala concert - which sounds ok for what it is, mind you - but it's definitely more toward the ghetto end of the scale as far as ukes go! Before this, I hadn't touched an instrument in almost 20 years, but now after playing for these 6+ months, I've really enjoyed it and been having a lot of fun learning to play uke. So I now know that ukulele is definitely for me, and I'm sticking with it and I play mine pretty much every day ever since I got it (even if only for a few minutes! frankly if I do skip a day due to being busy I almost go through some sort of withdrawl - and it is not a good feeling!). Lately I've been waffling between trying to save up money for something a little bit nicer than what I have.... or just being happy with what I have for now and trying improve my playing even though my uke might not be as playable or sound as good as something nicer (and I'm sure like many other UU'ers, I frankly couldn't afford to buy a solid uke right now),

I'd really love to be the recipient of your "well-loved" Nalu Tenor - I'd definitely be appreciative of having something nicer to continue to learn on. It would be going to a good home (contrary to what the photo above might lead you to believe. God, I feel bad about doing that... :eek: )

Anyhow, thanks for being generous to everyone at UU - and I hope that whoever the lucky person is that receives it is - that they enjoy it and get lots of use out of it.

thanks Deach!

[NOTE: no ukes were harmed in the making of this contest entry.]

You are a good man Deach. I was going to ask you on the jam several days ago how much you wanted for that Nalu. But this is a far better thing you are doing with it. I know someone deserving will get it and get quite the upgrade from their current uke.

I'm a tone deaf volleyball coach for pete's sake.

Ok, I'm throwing my name and uke into the pot.

Here is the video that I submitted for brickenators beginners contest. You can see and hear the disaster for yourself. Some people might say the buzzing and bad strumming was my fault, but after playing for a month or so now, I have to disagree. Its the uke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aT-mOt5Aqg

yeah, you're thinking, "OH the humanity!"

Its a rogue. Anytime a music store knocks off half the price you know your in trouble. I bought 11 of them for my volleyball team. One actually shipped out broken, so when I called to exchange, the lady laughed and said, "Oh no, we'll just send you another one."

Think of the children.

Deach,

As much as i would love that uke. My Kala KA-C is treatin me just fine and always has been. Haven't posted much lately but had to commend you on as usual being the Santa of ukulele underground.
-Seth

Top Bottom