PDA

View Full Version : Win a soprano travel uke

Ken Middleton
12-01-2009, 06:51 AM
I am giving away the Kala KA-SSTU that I won from Ukulele Player Magazine.

Here's where you'll find the COMPETITION VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN5R54rHMgw).

It is important to read the message in the More Info box.

Hurry, the competition ends next Tuesday.

Rainhill
12-01-2009, 06:59 AM
Hi Ken,

Great idea, very kind.

But I dont have a YT account, your instructions say just to email (not particularly video form) your reply to you. Is this sufficient?

Cheers

Paul

Ken Middleton
12-01-2009, 07:22 AM
Hi Ken,

Great idea, very kind.

But I dont have a YT account, your instructions say just to email (not particularly video form) your reply to you. Is this sufficient?

Cheers

Paul

I am going to announce the winner with the YT account name. Just open a YT account. It only takes a few minutes.

ukulelegal
12-01-2009, 01:26 PM
I know 2 of them...are you going to give any additional clues? Plllleeeaaassseee? ;)

commandercup
12-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Great idea for a contest, but I don't know all of the tunes :o

Good luck to everyone else!

Ken Middleton
12-01-2009, 09:13 PM
I know 2 of them...are you going to give any additional clues? Plllleeeaaassseee? ;)

Not a chance. But you could ask family, friends, people in the street, etc.

Great idea for a contest, but I don't know all of the tunes ...

I didn't want to make it too easy. Take a guess.

johncaudrey
12-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Very nice idea for a travel uke competition Ken!
Good luck everyone!

sebi
12-02-2009, 12:35 AM
This is a great competition and the competition video is great to watch even for those who won't enter the competition.

Great idea, Ken.

grammy
12-02-2009, 12:49 AM
Thanks Ken Great comp, it looks like a really nice uke, 'm in...just as soon as i work out that last one!

ukulelegal
12-02-2009, 03:44 AM
lol...how do you think i found out the first two? :P Taking it to the street though is a great idea...unfortunately i live in a kind of cultural void sooooo...anyway great contest, lovely vid.

grammy
12-02-2009, 06:02 AM
Got em all!

johncaudrey
12-02-2009, 07:29 AM
Respect Grammy, I've only got three so far!

Ken Middleton
12-02-2009, 07:40 AM
Got em all!

Well done!

Respect Grammy, I've only got three so far!

It should be possible to find the other two.

Lori
12-02-2009, 08:19 AM
Good contest. Nice review too. I know three of them right away, one familiar but can't remember the name or lyrics, and one to guess on. I will have to think on this a bit more.

–Lori

CountryMouse
12-02-2009, 08:20 AM
Great contest, Ken!

I am not sure about one of them, so I just guessed the country. I got all the others though.

CountryMouse, crossing fingers and toes :D

Ken Middleton
12-02-2009, 09:17 PM
I want to clarify something.

Each of the 5 snippets of tune in the medley would contain the name of a country (or nationality) if the words were sung. Sometimes the name of the country is in the title too.

If you are stuck on one or more of the countries, I suggest you ask someone: a friend, member of your family, work colleague . Some of the answers are tricky, but the tunes are well-known. A number of people have already got them absolutely correct.

Just under 6 days left.

mrUKETOBER
12-02-2009, 10:16 PM
I want to clarify something.

Each of the 5 snippets of tune in the medley would contain the name of a country (or nationality) if the words were sung. Sometimes the name of the country is in the title too.

If you are stuck on one or more of the countries, I suggest you ask someone: a friend, member of your family, work colleague . Some of the answers are tricky, but the tunes are well-known. A number of people have already got them absolutely correct.

Just under 6 days left.

just a question ... what happens if people tie ? is it whoever gets it in first ? im not entering cause i dont know them lol but i was just curious .. lol great contest btw ! im bummed i cant enter thats a nice uke :D

Ken Middleton
12-02-2009, 10:18 PM
just a question ... what happens if people tie ? is it whoever gets it in first ? im not entering cause i dont know them lol but i was just curious .. lol great contest btw ! im bummed i cant enter thats a nice uke :D

They can't tie. There's a tie-breaker.

kangatheroo
12-03-2009, 06:19 AM
lol...how do you think i found out the first two? :P Taking it to the street though is a great idea...unfortunately i live in a kind of cultural void sooooo...anyway great contest, lovely vid.

What? You live in Florida too? :p

ukulelegal
12-03-2009, 07:28 AM
What? You live in Florida too? :p
lol...no central Michigan...specifically my town seems devoid of much artistic inclination. Which is weird considering it's a college town...there's little trickle here and there but it never seems to take root.

mrUKETOBER
12-03-2009, 11:28 AM
They can't tie. There's a tie-breaker.

nice im excited to see what it is !

Doctroid
12-03-2009, 05:04 PM
I knew exactly one of them. Oh well, next contest...

(Oh wait. Two.)

Ken Middleton
12-03-2009, 09:46 PM
nice im excited to see what it is !

It's explained on the video. Say why you want a travel uke. The one I like best with all answers correct gets the uke.

mds725
12-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Very generous of you, Ken, and I like the travel theme to the contest. I think I know all the countries (nice song choices) but I'm not going to enter because I already have a Kala spruce/mahogany travel soprano. (If it had been a Kala travel tenor ...) It's a great instrument. I think your review is spot on. I love the sound, but the tuners make the uke topheavy and, for me, harder to hold while playing. Also, it's possible that my fingers are simply too oafish for a soprano scale fretboard (my other ukes are concerts or tenors). Anyway, great contest! Good luck to everyone. The winner is going to get a fine ukulele!

Ken Middleton
12-04-2009, 01:09 PM
I think I know all the countries (nice song choices) but I'm not going to enter because I already have a Kala spruce/mahogany travel soprano.

Why not enter anyway and nominate someone else?

mds725
12-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Why not enter anyway and nominate someone else?

Good question. To me, it seems a little outside the holiday spirit to make it even just a little more difficult for someone else to win something I don't need, and I guess if I want the someone I would nominate to get a ukulele, I ought to just buy one for him or her myself. But I think the way you've decided to give away yours is really great. I may try to do something similar if I can't adjust to the weight of the headstock and the the size of the fretboard on my own travel ukulele. I hope you'll consider publishing at least the winner's statement of why he or she wants a travel ukulele.

Ken Middleton
12-04-2009, 11:43 PM
... I hope you'll consider publishing at least the winner's statement of why he or she wants a travel ukulele.

I may be able to do that, but many of the statements are quite personal and it would not be appropriate. A number of people have already given the correct answers. The tie-breaker is really there so that I can decide who wins.

krabbers
12-05-2009, 01:27 PM
im stuck on the third . anyone wanna trade lol

johncaudrey
12-06-2009, 09:59 AM
By Jove I think I have all five. A quick visit to my folks on the way home from work today and my dad got the two I was struggling within seconds. Thanks Dad!

Ken Middleton
12-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Just 25 hours and 10 minutes to go before the end of the competition.

Last entries must be in by tomorrow evening. That's Tuesday evening at midnight GMT.

If you don't know all the answers, why not take a guess?