I want a Bushman, but...

Reaction score
I ordered a bushman jenny in mid-august, and to make long story short, after a 4 month struggle with the company, I finally got the order canceled. Probably the worst customer service experience of my life. Thing is, I'd really like a Jenny, I was wondering if there was somewhere else on this vast internet where I could pick one up, anyone know?

Thanks

Why didn't they sent you the one you ordered in the first place?

Why didn't they sent you the one you ordered in the first place?

Do a search on John Hall or Bushman within this forum and you'll find out. It seems Bushman is in the business of receiving and refunding money more than the business of selling ukuleles.

Mainland has my business.

Yep, I tried to order a ukulele twice with them and both times waited for months and had to get refunded.

There was or is a thread about the lousy customer service (or lack of) posted. Seems what you experienced is the norm for Bushman!! :mad:

I wont even try to get a bushman...why bother. I've read so many nightmares, I'd rather support manufactures that operate under "good business" practices and deal with someone who will show their appreciation of my purchase by providing quality customer service and actually care.

just means more business for Mainland...
I'm all for that, cuz Mike be da bomb yo!

I wont even try to get a bushman...why bother. I've read so many nightmares, I'd rather support manufactures that operate under "good business" practices and deal with someone who will show their appreciation of my purchase by providing quality customer service and actually care.

just means more business for Mainland...
I'm all for that, cuz Mike be da bomb yo!

That is THE only way!!!!:agree:

Ohana also makes some pretty nice solid mahogany ukes, similar to the Jenny.

Every time I read a thread like this, I can't help but think somewhere a hoosier is smiling...

As you can see, people are getting fed the f**k up with bad service. How hard is it to sell someone a uke? Is it in stock or not? If so, how long will it take to ship? A walk down PayPal Blvd. and BOOM! 5 working days later you should be getting your tuner out and putting up one of Aldrine's lessons. Real Rocket Science, here. Like others, I opted for the Mainland for all of the above reasons. At that price it didn't kill me to pop for a pickup AND hard case (It's tweed, Jerry, tweed!). I got the concert mahogany gloss, and this little gem sounds better than all the demos hinted at.

I'm not trying to get YouTube hits, but here's a link to a song in progress (inspired by and named after the uke!) that shows what it sounds like in the studio. There's a little reverb on the tracks, but you can hear the wide tonal range I can get even in the roughest of mixes. Use headphones if you can, but even with YT's limited bandwidth, you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vVl08nIkm0

You can also see it in action with some of my other vids, but there are better demos and reviews of Mainlands out there.

Bushman... There used to be a dealer in my area, but they don't stock them anymore... wonder why... They are nice, though, I have to say.

Last edited:
Every time I read a thread like this, I can't but think somewhere a hoosier is smiling...

I hope so, and I hope he's laughing all the way to the bank. (Figuratively speaking, of course, since his PayPal account undoubtedly goes straight to Mainland's bank account.)

I have exchanged emails with Mike, spoken with him on the phone, and received customer service that went above and beyond. Would I buy a similar Ohana at a lower price? No. I'll take a Mainland uke and Mike's customer service any day.

Here's hoping: oneathesedays Mike's gonna put a Mainland sopranino on the website. And when he does, I'm gonna preorder it whether he's had a chance to play one or not.

I'm gonna preorder it whether he's had a chance to play one or not.

I did that with my slotted headstock mahogany concert, and I know a lot of people ordered mango ukes site unseen too. We have a lot of trust in Mike and his company, and that trust is well deserved.

I did that with my slotted headstock mahogany concert, and I know a lot of people ordered mango ukes site unseen too. We have a lot of trust in Mike and his company, and that trust is well deserved.

I ordered a tenor mango sight unseen and I couldn't be happier with it. I totally trust Mike. GO MAINLAND!!!

putting it this way - getting decent Ukes in the UK is tough to say the least. I started about 18 months ago, and was going to get a Bushman Jenny from a UK dealer. Ended up with a Flea.

As the months went by, and I decided to buy another, I looked back to getting a Bushman - correct me if I am wrong, but nobody in the UK stocks them any more - what does that say? I did speak to one dealer, who said they used to carry a few, but stopped because of quality control issues.

Then I stumbled across Mainland, and boy am I glad that I did. Best all solid bang for the buck bar none as far as I can see. My Concert is a beauty.

Top Bottom