transpose section

CenizaT&K-01

Reaction score
how about a section that teaches you how to transpose keys and what not. like i dont understand how to play in different keys and what not. so maybe a chart and an instruction sheet on how to do it?

i dont know if a chart would help. a keyboard would though.

if you are transposing up then the easy way to go is to use a capo.

if you are basically trying to rewrite the song to be able to sing it in your vocal range then its just a little more complicated.

lets take an easy, common song... honey baby.

now lets look at all the notes on the keyboard for one full octave.

A Bb B C Db D Eb E F Gb G Ab

twelve steps. just like how on the twelfth fret, you will be playing the same note as an open string just one octave higher.

now remember that this progression loops back to the beginning so after the Ab, you go back to A.

ok back to the song. honey baby. common chords for this song are:
A-C#m-Bm-E7

if you are having trouble singing it at that key, you can traspose it up or down by re-writing the chord progression. lets just transposed it UP 5 steps. so your A chord will now be a D. your C#m will now by a F#m (C#m is the same as Dbm). your Bm is now a Em. and your E7 is now a A7.

so now your chord progression is:
D-F#m-Em-A7

try playing it and you will see that it will sound the same, just at a different key. so when transposing up you count up the steps to the right. when you transpose down you count to the left. take a song, print out the lyrics and chords, and change each one as you see fit, staying consistent with how many steps you transposed it to. write it down in place of the old chords. play it. if its not doing it for you, try a different key. lather, rinse, repeat as you see fit.

hope this was what you were looking for.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Ohana38Series.jpg
    Ohana38Series.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 66
  • OhanaCK_TK38.jpg
    OhanaCK_TK38.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 511
  • OhanaCK-38.jpg
    OhanaCK-38.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 620
  • OhanaTK-38.jpg
    OhanaTK-38.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 93
there's the circle of fifths that you can find at tikiking.com.
Shows you how to transpose chords.

how about a section that teaches you how to transpose keys and what not. like i dont understand how to play in different keys and what not. so maybe a chart and an instruction sheet on how to do it?

I think this is just another question that can be addressed in the Tips, Tricks and Techniques section of the forum. One thing about some of the other forums that I, personally, don't care for is going overboard with the number of categories. Just my opinion. YMMV.

And it looks like you've gotten some good advice already.

Top Bottom