I need a Travel Ukulele

Basurito81

Reaction score
Wasa everyone. Im looking to buy a Ukulele that I can bring along with when im on the go. I have about $200 bucks to spend. What i need is a concert sized ukulele with a mat finish. Suggestions are appretiated.

i'm prob not going to be too helpful. as a guitarist, all ukes to me seem travel sized.

That said - are you looking for small in size, or something indestructible. If the latter, I'd get a Flea or a Fluke - which has naturally become my travel Uke - i throw it everywhere and it packs down well.

If you want a wooden uke- - Kala make a range of thinline Ukes, as do Bruko.

Both get very decent reviews.

another reccomendation is a Makala dolphin (about 50 shipped from MGM). The new ones have plastic sides and back. The plastic is very durable, and while it doesn't have a thinner profile, it might stand up to a little more abuse. However, it only comes in soprano.

The king of durability is a flea or a fluke, which will be at the top of your price range, but they're known for being practically indestructable. They have the same plastic body with a laminate front that the makala has, but you can get one in concert or tenor too.

As a happy Fluke owner, I whole-heartedly suggest it. It's served me well for the last few months, and I anticipate many, many years of use out of it to come. I'm pretty sure you can get one and be in budget, so...why not? :D

Added bonus: As far as I know, flukes and fleas come with a gig bag, which will save you the expense of buying something to carry it in. I've taken mine cross-country in just the gig bag, for the record.

For your budget I'd recommend a Flea with a concert neck, I believe standard colors are all mat finish. Small body makes traveling a breeze, and it's almost indestructible, and sounds great. Also comes with a very cool "Flea Bag". ;)
If only the Makala Dolphins came in a concert size. :iwant:

Took my Fluke all over Thailand back in August. For me - I wouldn't travel with wood in most climates.

Flukes and Fleas seem built for wet/humid/rapid weather changes and are built to take a beating.

I think RussBuss drinks beer out of his.

Add to that the fact that they are LOUD (important to me in an outdoor setting, or an airport :)) and you have a near perfect travel choice. Sound is surprisingly full and sweet too.

I'm voting for Fluke or concert-neck Flea as well. Both are great.

fmme103-lg.jpg

That is a matte finished piece of "hoop pine" in natural. In person there is a little more visible grain than the photo.

I think Kala does not make a concert Travel uke, only soprano and tenor. I have a travel tenor and it's great. It is light, thin and loud. I stick it in my backpack However, it seem to me that if I wanted a more rugged instrument, I would go with the fluke/fleas. They look indestructible and like they can take a beating.

I cast my vote for the concert flea also. My surf flea traveled to the top of Mt. Osceola in NH this summer in my back pack. It was a spotty weather day and came back none the worse for wear and rang out beautifuly from the summit!

Another vote for a concert flea right here.

This a soprano, but I recommend it. The Ovation Applause UAE20 acoustic/electric soprano. I keep mine in the car, sumer, winter, spring and fall. Last year I took it to the Philippines with me and played it in a boat off 100 Islands with water constantly splashing on it in the China Sea! It's still my goto uke:

Ukulele530.jpg

I've played several Kala Travel ukes in soprano and tenor. They all have a nice voice and come with a nice padded case. I've read they make it in a concert, too. A Flea with a concert neck is a durable instrument, too. Ric

Or a Makala Dolphin Bridge...

My concert Flea goes with me everywhere. It fits in a standard rolling carry-on bag, it can handle changes in humidity and temperature, and it can take a beating.

It's like a really good Jeep. Tough, fun, and ready for anything.

all ukes to me seem travel sized.

I completely agree. I haven't had one ukulele that I couldn't bring with me anywhere. Whether it's a soprano, or a baritone. It's all portable to me. It depends on how you want to be carrying it.

You can get some gig bags that function as a backpack or if you want to tough it out you can get a heavy duty case.

All in all, all ukuleles are travel sized. Unless you want something like that Kala Travel concert.

lanikai LU-21 soprano i bought for travel and its great only $50 and sounds better than most ukes i encounter while im on the road.

have fun choosing

If great intonation & durability are important, go for a concert Flea. Plus they are cool looking in a peculiar sort of way. I love mine & will never part with it unless it's to loan to friend. It cost a little under $200. And made in the good ol' USA.

You don't see very many used Fleas or Flukes in the market place, so people must be satisfied with their Fleas.

Top Bottom