search function.....*sigh*

gotrice415510

Reaction score
whenever i search something like "Tie Me Down by New Boyz"(bad example, i know) the "smart" search engine will break down each individual word and search on "key words" only. This is really annoying because it will discard searching for common words, in this case all of them except for "boyz". So it only searches for that word, yeilding random threads with the word "boyz" in it and not the specific song i was looking for.

Its a minor annoyance but it makes the search function useless for me sometimes.

I come in contact with this EVERY DAY and it gets me mad EVERY DAY. I think if you put quotes around something it helps but I dont know if it works for everything.

i just realized how frequent the search function makes me mad too.... i always end up goin to UG for chords now instead of UU.:( i write this as im on UG learning a song becuz UU search function isnt working for me. *sigh* its funny how i create this thread and the same problem hits me again right after.

Last edited:
i just realized how frequent the search function makes me mad too.... i always end up goin to UG for chords now instead of UU.:( i write this as im on UG learning a song becuz UU search function isnt working for me. *sigh* its funny how i create this thread and the same problem hits me again right after.

Well, what I do is...(whenever I'm searching for a song)

I search specifically in the Song Help or Tab thread - have you done that?? If so then...sorry.

There's always Google, lol. :D

Some tips to narrow your search -

Confine your search to the Tabs forum or Song Help forum.

Only search thread titles.

Forum search engines have their own language, and it takes time to learn but it works. Try Googling fulltext boolean search syntax.

As an example you can enter:
Code:
Tie+Me+Down AND "New Boyz"
as your search, and you will come up with a single result - this thread.

If you enter:
Code:
Tie+Me+Down
the search fails because the words are too short or too comon.

If you enter:
Code:
"Tie Me Down" + "New Boyz"
nothing is found.

Those three searches contain the same (or similar) words, but you get very different search results depending on how you put them together.

Tip: Use google to search the threads by including "site:ukuleleunderground.com/forum" into the search query.

The forum search tool tends to ignore any words with three letters or less (uke, koa) if they aren't combined in quotes to a larger word. Google should recognize these.

awesome thanks guys, i wasnt really lookin for that song just first thing that came to mind lol.... hopefully i can find what i need to find now though.

Tip: Use google to search the threads by including "site:ukuleleunderground.com/forum" into the search query.

The forum search tool tends to ignore any words with three letters or less (uke, koa) if they aren't combined in quotes to a larger word. Google should recognize these.

that's basically what I do, too. it's the best and easiest way to find what you're looking for.

Excellent tip for using google. I can't find anything with the sites search function, it drives me insane!

Top Bottom