UAS knows no age limit

haolejohn

Reaction score
I popped my head out of the classroom this morning and what do i see???

I see a student walking down the hallway carrying three ukuleles. That is right. I have officially infected 10 year olds with UAS:)

I see a student walking down the hallway carrying three ukuleles. That is right. I have officially infected 10 year olds with UAS:)

cool;);):D

Nice work!!!;)

Ha! Never thought that UAS was communicable, but now that I think about it, I've infected a good friend myself.

How cool that you passed this on to your students......much respect!

Shame on you, John. A school teacher. Shame, shame, shame! This is disturbing... Wait. Three ukes, you say? Were they good ukes? What kind were they? No cigar boxes, I hope. Ten years old is too young for the cigar box... Any Mainlands or Kalas? Ohanas? I bet there was an Ohana. Don't tell me there was a Kamaka in those grubby little hands! How slick would that be though? A ten year old with a sweet uke! Any fleas or flukes? Those seem good for kids - can't really abuse them much. OMG! Were they new? Where'd they come from? Local shop? Ebay? Friends? ;)

Shame on you, John. A school teacher. Shame, shame, shame! This is disturbing... Wait. Three ukes, you say? Were they good ukes? What kind were they? No cigar boxes, I hope. Ten years old is too young for the cigar box... Any Mainlands or Kalas? Ohanas? I bet there was an Ohana. Don't tell me there was a Kamaka in those grubby little hands! How slick would that be though? A ten year old with a sweet uke! Any fleas or flukes? Those seem good for kids - can't really abuse them much. OMG! Were they new? Where'd they come from? Local shop? Ebay? Friends? ;)

They were makala dolphins from ukerepublic. Remember that I run an ukulele club and today we meet. It just caught me off guard to see a student with 3 ukuleles. 2 were hers and one was a friends. THis epedimic might be worse than the bubonic plaque:)

They were makala dolphins from ukerepublic. Remember that I run an ukulele club and today we meet. It just caught me off guard to see a student with 3 ukuleles. 2 were hers and one was a friends. THis epedimic might be worse than the bubonic plaque:)
All it takes is one germ to infect an entire school. (Don't let her near the sink, she might wash her hands!)

I am way beyond school days now. Just thinking back on how nice it would have been if they had such a thing back when I was in school. I was studying classical guitar back then, and I really couldn't find a place for it, since marching band is really not guitar friendly.

Now I have a local Ukulele meeting, which will do very nicely, I think.

–Lori

Just thinking back on how nice it would have been if they had such a thing back when I was in school.

–Lori

Whoa that's where I learned the uke first and got addicted... Seventh grade (or highs'cool 1rst year). In 1978. In Canada, Uke was part of the school system thanks to a guy named J Chalmers Doane. Just think of James Hill.

No friggin recorder for us, we learned uke. My dad bought me a Northern JCD2, a concert, in 1978 and I still have it. And that was 30 years ago.

I put it aside and moved to bass and then Gibson guitar for 15 years. But now I'm back to basics, and the electrics just gather dust.

Haolejohn, you can't even imagine what you're doing for those kids.

Thanks and thanks again.:):):)

Oh and we didn't have this kind of community. Thanks to everyone at UU and beyond.

Growing up in Hawai'i we played the 'ukulele in school. My little one's school in California makes them play a stringed instrument: viola, violin or cello. The rental fee for the violin is $30 a month. She'll play it for three years in elementary school. I have the option to buy after six months with the $180 going towards the purchase. The price for hers, which was the cheapest one they had, was $385! This is for a smaller sized violin (I can't remember if it was a 1/2 or 3/4 size.) She would have to get a larger violin if she keeps playing. I'm sure this is only a fair quality violin too.

She has much more fun playing my KoAloha soprano 2nd which she can use for a lifetime at the same price.

it's contagious

Top Bottom