Guitar Skills Suffering!

greg_usa

Reaction score
I bought the uke aboout a month ago and haven't picked up my guitar since! Last night I said I better give it a whirl - man it was SO WEIRD! lol... It felt gigantic and clunky! At first I couldn't even finger the chords - especially D maj. My hands kept moving down a string since I'm so used to the G on a uke I guess... Anyway - that all came back pretty quickly but I have to say after about 20 minutes I put it away and took out the uke again. :eek:) It might wear off a bit at some point but I'm just having so much fun right - figure I'll just go with it and not worry - when I'm in the mood to play the guitar I'm sure I'll know it ;o)

BTW - my lady is ready to kill me. I follow her around the apartment playing it - she especially loves that when she's trying to get ready! hahaha

I bought the uke aboout a month ago and haven't picked up my guitar since! Last night I said I better give it a whirl - man it was SO WEIRD! lol... It felt gigantic and clunky! At first I couldn't even finger the chords - especially D maj. My hands kept moving down a string since I'm so used to the G on a uke I guess... Anyway - that all came back pretty quickly but I have to say after about 20 minutes I put it away and took out the uke again. :eek:) It might wear off a bit at some point but I'm just having so much fun right - figure I'll just go with it and not worry - when I'm in the mood to play the guitar I'm sure I'll know it ;o)

BTW - my lady is ready to kill me. I follow her around the apartment playing it - she especially loves that when she's trying to get ready! hahaha

I feel your pain!! :agree: Same thing happened to me!!

I had to laugh when I read this thread...Me too...!!! After playing ukuleles for an extended period, even a small-bodied 00 size guitar seems huge, bulky, and uncomfortable to play...:D

I know exactly what you mean! I joke whenever I pick up my guitar, "Man, this is a HUGE ukulele!"

I literally have to switch my brain back and forth too - I find myself confusing D chords on the guitar with G chords on the uke as they are sort of similar in the finger placement.

I've been trying to practice guitar a little more - but I usually end up playing uke anyway!

I'm in the other boat... a couple months ago I picked up guitar for the first time after playing the Uke for a year and a half.
At first I was thinkin man this thing is huge, the strings are so close together and the frets are to far apart!!!
Now I see why Guitar players think a Soprano is so small:eek:

Yesterday I picked up my classical guitar again, and it felt like I was lifting a tree trunk. The fingerboard looked like a super highway, and the acreage seemed vast. It took some time to get used to it again. Today I will check out my neglected banjo.

–Lori

Yeah - I feel you on this one.

Recently, my friend let me play his guitar and things were coming naturally to me (at least what I remember, e.g. chords) but right after I put the guitar down, I picked up my Soprano Uke and I was like...:confused:...the size difference is noticeable of course but to hold it immediately after playing a guitar was mind boggling. Switching to a Tenor Uke feels a bit more comfortable though - I love my Tenor =]

LOL ahhh man this is too funny! ;)

Yep I hear ya. The guitar seems so alien to me now. These days it's more wall-accenting than anything else (lol). I've lent a few of my guitars to friends who want to learn and I've kept only one (my Martin Tenor with a Camoflage finish!) for those times I want to revisit songs I wrote or show my friends how to play.

I'll always love the guitar and I've written more songs than I can count on it but these days the uke is my only axe!

I wanna be the uke guy! Know whadda I mean? ;)

As I play more uke, my guitar gets played less and less. But, contrary to what everyone else has said, my guitar feels great in my hands!! There is just something about that sweet Martin D-16GT. Sure, my guitar skills aren't where they once were but I love picking her up. My flamenco guitar gets even less attention but I keep my flamecno techniques sharp with my ukelele. Picking my Martin back up is like spending time with a best friend I haven't seen in a while. I always forget how loud she is and all the sweet tricks I learned on her. Once I pick up my guitar, my hands feel right at home and my ears wish for earplugs more so than when I play my Sceptre.

I wish I had more time for both.

Oh, so common, this. It's like when I would switch off from guitar to bass, I would realise I'm no bassist. Now when I switch from uke to guitar, I get the feeling I'm no guitarist either, and that is scary, but I haven't had the call for guitar work in a while and in the band I'm in now, it's uke only (my choice). But I still keep the guitar out at all times, because if I left it in its case I'd probably not play it for a long, long, time...

Here's a bit I posted on this theme a while back...

I hadn't touched my guitar in months, and I thought, "Uh, oh... Don't wanna lose my chops!" So I pulled it out and, man, it felt like a baseball bat. It was like:
"What the f**k is this thing?" And it's telling me;
"I'm your Stratocaster." And I'm saying;
"My Whatocaster?" And it says;
"Your Strato... Oh, fine. Go play your Ooh-koo-lay-lay... Traitor." And I say;
"Oh, why don't you just shut the f... Wait a sec. Why am I talking to a guitar?"

Batter up!

I love picking up my Martin and playing it when I have not done so for a while. I bring guitars to uke jams occasionally, and always bring a baritone uke, too. Last gathering, I brought out my Stratacoustic. It really has a beautiful neck.

I prefer ukulele, many times, but I have played both for over forty years.

Fortunately with being one of the off the work millions I have had time to split my time between all my loved instruments. Lately I've been doing recordings of all the instruments and singing too. One of these days I will figure out how to youtube my stuff. Doug

look forward to the vids Doug!

And yes - this happens to me too. Friends 60th a few weeks ago and we were booked to jam with acoustic guitars - took me several songs to even get where my chords should be - i was dreadful - truly dreadful.

Forgot some chord changes and words to songs i mainly play on guitar too...

It came back relatively quickly though!

my solution to this problem lies in having different sises of uke...i have a soprano tenor and barritone, then guitar and bass, so i kind of have all possible sizes, playing them all regularly just seems to have made me better and i really enjoy the big/small contrasts, i mean on my soprano i can play ridiculous chords like 0275....try that even on a tenor and you may lose a finger! but on my guitars i get that extra two strings of harmony....mmmmmm, yummy, tone colours.

I am a recovered GAS addict, I think I topped out at 64 guitars. Right now I have no desire to play guitar, haven't played in months, never was very good anyway. Play my uke daily and am having a blast. Do they have a vaccine, patch, or something to keep me from getting UAS?

Isn't that wierd, my 0 guitar feels the size of the Hindenburg. :eek: After about a minute I got right back in the saddle tho'.:music:

Top Bottom