On inspection, how does one tell laminate from solid wood?

Sambient

Reaction score
Are we mere mortals able to detect?
Part of the reason I ask this is because my initial low-investment purchased at a flea market ukulele has a lovely blonde top (spruce? balsa wood?) that seems to not be as built up as my laminates. Is it possible that my $25 has a solid top?
Another reason is a tenor that my husband purchased is something we were told was solid mahogany. The finish is thick and it seems similar to my laminates. Our skepticism is also thick.
I've at least touched some Martin ukes at a local store ( I know I'll never own one). Those feel like I'd expect solid wood to feel. Same with the Vineyard concert that I was messing with on a recent visit.
I'd like an education on how the average rabid ukulele appreciant can tell the difference.

To quote pauljmuk from a different thread...

Incidentally - you should be able to see if the sides (and possibly back) are solid - get a torch - look inside - you should see grain in the wood that follows the pattern of the grain on the outside of the uke. - if it does so, (ruling out an ultra low probability of it being pure luck!) then the instrument is solid.

SoundholeGrain.jpg

See the vertical lines where the grain from the top runs off? That indicates a solid top.

SoundholeLam.jpg

If the soundhole border looks like a three-layer sandwich with parallel lines running horizontally, you have yourself a laminate.

Reference: http://musicfolk.com/docs/Features/Feature_HowtoBuyaGuitar.htm

Yes, just as the previous posts have said. You can't go by the feel or the finish.

John Colter.

Man o man do I adore such information. Things that make sense that just hadn't occurred to me.
Still tough for me to figure if the top on the $25 Galveston is solid? Back and sides, no. But the soundhole is finished such that the edge is really sanded away to the inside, leaving no visible diameter. I'm sure theres a name for this.
And the black trim on the sides keeps that part from being visible. I guess it will remain a happy mystery. It was fun inspecting some of the other ukes in the house.

Just a cautionary note: what the Brits call a torch we in the States call a flashlight.

Yeah, I got caught there for a split second with a "whaaaaa?"
Recognized the intention before ignition.

And then theres:
torchwood.jpg

Oh and let me say what I keep failing to say to my educators here: thank you!

whilst the thread above with the pics is bang on - doesnt always work - some instruments have a load of varnish around the sound hole, or, like my bruko, a binding on the inner edge.

Also - some edges of the body itself may give it away, but not if bound.

Not knocking the advice - works most of the time, but beware a thick varnish gloss!

For me - get your torches (sorry flashlights) out!

Most of the time paint or binding on the inner edge of the soundhole is there to hide those laminate sandwich lines.

Laminate or solid - how does it SOUND? That's the big question. I have an old Yamaha acoustic guitar that by all rights should sound godawful - and yet it sings. It's laminate and a cheapie at that.

yep, and dont forget the Flukes and Fleas are all laminated tops, and they sound brilliant!

But the soundhole is finished such that the edge is really sanded away to the inside, leaving no visible diameter. I'm sure theres a name for this.

My Kala flame mahogany soprano is like that. I think this is a method that the maker's use to disguise the fact that the top is a laminate. I don't mean to accuse them of deceit. It just keeps a potentially unsightly laminated edge from showing. Personally, I don't care. I paid a ridiculously low price for a uke that I simply love so I don't care if it's made from cardboard. Looks and sounds great, no matter what it's made of.

Top Bottom