does this make me evil?

grammy

Reaction score
I have tried to let it slide past me, tried not to be so horrid and negative but ...is it just me? or is ukulele mike beginning to get on other peoples nerves too?

on the one hand if you are a beginner he is a great source of tunes to play, he keeps it easy ish and that's all good, but the bloke is so prolific, he does like 4 or 5 a week, and it is starting to bug me.

part of the fun is working out how to do the songs yourself isnt it? at least three times i have been thinking of trying a tune and then lo and behold mike has done it and it is up. and i kind of feel like once he has done it....i can't. does that make sense? also, he clearly 'borrows' from existing material on you tube, e.g. his recent yellow bird is coveywood all over.

so...he's a lovely old fella who is doing a nice thing totally free and helping ot fellow ukers, but i want to strangle him with aquillas, does this make me evil? or do you too secretly want to de tune his e string.

Yes, that does make you evil. Not as evil as actually doing it... so you got that goin' for ya.:cheers:

Evil maybe, but I know what you mean. That's why I hate looking at some of the youtube uke vids. I think I'm real special for adapting a particular song on the uke, only to find out there's a hundred people doing it better!

By the way... Don't use a uke string to strangle anyone - it's too easily traceable back to you. The classic thing would be to use piano wire!:eek: (I didn't say that...):rolleyes:

You're mad at him because he figures stuff out before you do? Sheesh. Stop watching him, them.

Nah I use youtube to see playable songs then lean it on my own, well most of the time, other times I use tabs and music sheets and what not if there are. Anything other than that I just end up using youtube to figure out how the strumming is supposed to sound then make up my own.

piano wire...I thought the classic murder weapon was an icicle...

No I have not been thinking about murdering anyone, I just read "The Lovely Bones"

You're mad at him because he figures stuff out before you do? Sheesh. Stop watching him, them.

amen seeso ! i bet if he didnt help people out they would complain too ... please dont make a thread to trash talk somebody ... that is not what ukulele is about .. its about being happy havin fun and makin new friends ! im sorry but i dont agree with this thread at all .. i dont even know who you are referring to.. but if you dont like it and it makes you mad.. then why the heck are you watching ? that is YOUR fault you watch.. so what if he did it.. do it again ... you know how many people have played while my guitar gently weaps ? or somewhere over the rainbow ? sheesh ! people borrow ideas and stuff from other people all the time .. please dont continue to slam him

mods you think it may be a good idea to lock this ?

I don't know who you are talking about, but I guess he puts it out there for those who want it. If you don't want it, don't look.

That would make you logical.

Live long, and prosper.

Ukantor.

amen seeso ! i bet if he didnt help people out they would complain too ... please dont make a thread to trash talk somebody ... that is not what ukulele is about .. its about being happy havin fun and makin new friends ! im sorry but i dont agree with this thread at all .. i dont even know who you are referring to.. but if you dont like it and it makes you mad.. then why the heck are you watching ? that is YOUR fault you watch.. so what if he did it.. do it again ... you know how many people have played while my guitar gently weaps ? or somewhere over the rainbow ? sheesh ! people borrow ideas and stuff from other people all the time .. please dont continue to slam him

mods you think it may be a good idea to lock this ?

We agree wholeheartedly. We are greatful to everyone who has taught us and allowed us to continue with this instrument that we love. And, because we live in a town where we're the only uke players of any level, we especially appreciate our online teachers, such as Mike...and Aldrine!

please dont make a thread to trash talk somebody
Not to mention he could well come across this thread some day. If you wouldn't say it to their face it's best not to say it on the internet. $0.02

There's nothing new in the universe, we're all copying and influenced by different people.
Popular songs are covered by hundreds of people. If you love something then you can guarantee that there are others who do too and will make videos about it. That's life I'm afraid. You can either share your version anyway or sulk about it. If you are doing a cover then it's not completely original anyway so why worry about being the first?

Personally I think it's great that he puts out so many vids. I don't watch them all but it does give me a lot of choice and I'm more likely to be able to pick out a few songs that I like if there is a good selection.

Ukulele Mike made me think, hey, I might be able to do this. Once I found his videos I had to have a Uke. Been playing about 2 months now and loving it, not good at it, but loving it. I personally would like to thank him for starting me on this journey. As far as figuring things out yourself, have at it, did that for years on guitar. Now if I want to learn a song, I just come here, to ukulele mike, or chordie.com, learned about 10 songs last night in a couple hours. Just keep ukeing.

I don't think grammy meant any harm. It's amazing the amount of great teaching vids Mike puts out regularly. Kind of dumbfounding to someone who is just learning.

I actually kind of like some of his videos. He is more accessible for me than some other stuff out there. Sometimes dom and aldrine and those guys are way over my head because they are soooo good, that it makes it nice to have someone who is doing more simple, slower stuff.

Plus, his costumes crack me up. And he looks exactly like my next door neighbor which always gives me a kick too. Shoot, just today he taught me how to play "Defying Gravity" from "Glee" and "Wicked."

I don't think the OP meant to be malicious, but still, I concur with the others, just don't watch him if he doesn't appeal to you anymore. :)

Last edited:
I actually kind of like some of his videos. He is more accessible for me than some other stuff out there. Sometimes dom and aldrine and those guys are way over my head because they are soooo good, that it makes it nice to have someone who is doing more simple, slower stuff.

Plus, his costumes crack me up. And he looks exactly like my next door neighbor which always gives me a kick too.

I don't think the OP meant to be malicious, but still, I concur with the others, just don't watch him if he doesn't appeal to you anymore. :)

even if the op didnt mean it that way .. others will see it that way .. and its just better not to continue it .. there is absolutely no reason to make a thread just to talk bad about someone

We agree wholeheartedly. We are greatful to everyone who has taught us and allowed us to continue with this instrument that we love. And, because we live in a town where we're the only uke players of any level, we especially appreciate our online teachers, such as Mike...and Aldrine!

amen ! i am with you 100 percent on this

I love Ukulele Mike. He gives a good foundation for newcomers like me to expand on. If you watched all the videos from the start he talks about chord transitions and other musical theory. I think some people have a hard time believing someone out there can be genuinely kind and altruistic. Ukulele Mike GMH.

I for one am super grateful to everyone who posts any kind of tabs, chords, or instructions for how to play any song, I don't care who came up with it.

If you really want to be that original, write your own stuff, because the very definition of a "cover song" is playing a song somebody else already played.

Top Bottom