New Uke Day/Review Mainland Slotted Head Mahogany Concert

phanzo

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just posted my review of my new Mainland Slotted Headstock Mahognay Concert. You can check it out by clicking on the youtube link in my sig.

Overall, I'm pretty happy. This is my second Mainland so maybe my expectations were a bt too high. The build of the uke is great. I'm not too fond of the Aquilas that came on it. I used to love them in the past but the Worth Clears have won my heart with my Mainland Honeybee Soprano so I am thinking I will have to switch the strings here soon.

The intonation is decent. Not as good as my Honeybee. It is a bit off at the 12th fret. It's starts to go off just after the 7th fret, which is weird because my Honeybee is spot on, all the way up the fret board. And intonation is one thing that really frustrates me when it's bad so this is kinda bugging me. Dont get me wrong, it's not terrible, by any means. I have played MUCH MUCH worse. It's just not as good as my Honeybee and unfortunately that is the only Mainland I can compare this one to.

It has a Mi-Si pickup in it, which I haven't tried out yet, but is supposed to be spectacular. Beyond the Aquila issue and the minor intonation problems, it is a wonderful uke and I am very happy. Not sure if it's going to hold off the UAS for the next year, like I had planned, but it will keep me happy for the time being (at least 3-6 months :p)

Anyway, enough reading, go watch my review and let me know what you guys think!!

Thanks again to Mike from Uke Republic as well as Mike from Mainland for being so AWESOME to deal with. 4 thumbs up for customer service :D

P.S. My hatred for the Aquilas may have something to do with the fact that they are brand new. I will keep them on for at least a week or so and give them a shot.

EDIT: I've been playin around on this for about 4 hours now and I am already noticing a difference in the tone. I am gettin more used to the Aquilas too. The intonation issue still exists but I am really liking the tone. Please don't take my bark at the intonation as a reason to not gea a Mainland. They are awesome instruments. I'm just being a little too picky. For the money, the intonation is fine. I'm going to keep the Aquilas on for a couple weeks bc I think once they are broken in, I'm really gonna like them. Sorry for all the negativity.

I'm heading to Florida for my grandfather's funeral today. When I get back on Monday I will make another video and compare the sound to how it was this morning. Things are looking better and from what I hear, will only get better as these next couple weeks go by. Stay tuned!!

Last edited:
You so don't look like the avatar photo. Glad you finally got your uke.

haha I know. I did that a couple years ago in college. I had long hair and a mustache and such. Times have changed. For some reason I just really like that picture. Would you prefer I use a more recent, uke related one? I haven't seen you yet, but I'm pretty sure you dont look like your avatar either :D

I have the slotted mahog concert - I love mine. One thing I will say - play it often - the top really starts to improve with play.

Sorry to hear your intonation issues - perhaps a string change may help - i have Worth Browns on mine currently. ( I may be talking nonsense here, but i'm from an acoustic guitar background, and I know changing string gauges can throw off some of my guitars)

Still, wonderful wonderful instruments for the money.

I have the slotted mahog concert - I love mine. One thing I will say - play it often - the top really starts to improve with play.

Sorry to hear your intonation issues - perhaps a string change may help - i have Worth Browns on mine currently. ( I may be talking nonsense here, but i'm from an acoustic guitar background, and I know changing string gauges can throw off some of my guitars)

Still, wonderful wonderful instruments for the money.

I added an edit to my post. The Aquilas are already sounding better to me and the intonation issue is just a minor detail in relation to the sound and performance of the instrument. I will be trying all kinds of different strings in the upcoming months but for at least the next couple weeks, i will be sticking with the Aquilas. Worth Browns will be on my list of ones to try. Thanks for the input Paul!!

Hey guys,
Just posted my review of my new Mainland Slotted Headstock Mahognay Concert. You can check it out by clicking on the youtube link in my sig.

Overall, I'm pretty happy. This is my second Mainland so maybe my expectations were a bt too high. The build of the uke is great. I'm not too fond of the Aquilas that came on it. I used to love them in the past but the Worth Clears have won my heart with my Mainland Honeybee Soprano so I am thinking I will have to switch the strings here soon.

The intonation is decent. Not as good as my Honeybee. It is a bit off at the 12th fret. It's starts to go off just after the 7th fret, which is weird because my Honeybee is spot on, all the way up the fret board. And intonation is one thing that really frustrates me when it's bad so this is kinda bugging me. Dont get me wrong, it's not terrible, by any means. I have played MUCH MUCH worse. It's just not as good as my Honeybee and unfortunately that is the only Mainland I can compare this one to.

It has a Mi-Si pickup in it, which I haven't tried out yet, but is supposed to be spectacular. Beyond the Aquila issue and the minor intonation problems, it is a wonderful uke and I am very happy. Not sure if it's going to hold off the UAS for the next year, like I had planned, but it will keep me happy for the time being (at least 3-6 months :p)

Anyway, enough reading, go watch my review and let me know what you guys think!!

Thanks again to Mike from Uke Republic as well as Mike from Mainland for being so AWESOME to deal with. 4 thumbs up for customer service :D

P.S. My hatred for the Aquilas may have something to do with the fact that they are brand new. I will keep them on for at least a week or so and give them a shot.

EDIT: I've been playin around on this for about 4 hours now and I am already noticing a difference in the tone. I am gettin more used to the Aquilas too. The intonation issue still exists but I am really liking the tone. Please don't take my bark at the intonation as a reason to not gea a Mainland. They are awesome instruments. I'm just being a little too picky. For the money, the intonation is fine. I'm going to keep the Aquilas on for a couple weeks bc I think once they are broken in, I'm really gonna like them. Sorry for all the negativity.

I'm heading to Florida for my grandfather's funeral today. When I get back on Monday I will make another video and compare the sound to how it was this morning. Things are looking better and from what I hear, will only get better as these next couple weeks go by. Stay tuned!!

Very detailed review and well done Banana Pancake playing.
Have a safe trip to Fla

Does anybody feel like Aquila strings provide a sound that feels like it's "coming from the string" instead of "coming from the wood"?? I feel like when I play them, the string makes a lot of noise and then the vibration of the wood follows. Doesn't seem that way with my Worths. The Worths seem to assist the wood in producing the tone whereas the Aquilas feel like they just have their own tone and leave the wood to fend for itself.

Anyone??

Does anybody feel like Aquila strings provide a sound that feels like it's "coming from the string" instead of "coming from the wood"?? I feel like when I play them, the string makes a lot of noise and then the vibration of the wood follows. Doesn't seem that way with my Worths. The Worths seem to assist the wood in producing the tone whereas the Aquilas feel like they just have their own tone and leave the wood to fend for itself.

Anyone??

I'm with you, I swapped out the aquilas on mine for worth browns and haven't looked back. Also, I've heard stuff similar to what pauljmuk has said before, that sometimes a bum set of strings can play with intonation a bit, so the change to worths might do you a double favor.

Mike is right - perhaps try another string change.

really interested in your take on the sound coming from the strings as opposed to the wood....

I am an aquila man and have been since starting Uke (for the heady period of all but 18 months.....;) ) - but I am currently trialling brown Worths on my Mainland Mahog.

At first I was less than impressed, - to my ears, a bit weak sounding. A week or two in though, and I think I see what you are getting at - the worths are a much rounder, fuller sounding string that seems to sing from the whole instrument. Still not convinced they are better for strumming, but maybe. Aquilas are powerful strings (hence why they seem to work wonders with cheap or laminate Ukes - hell, I love them on my Flea, and have no plans to change on that instrument)

Anyway - This topic is in danger of hijacking the thread - back to the main point - the mainlands are great - try a string stretch or change - not read much about mainlands with intonation probs - certainly nothing like those I read regarding Ohana or some Kalas

Top Bottom