Question for those with a Youtube site

videoMS

Reaction score
Had an interesting chat session the other day with Russ Buss regarding youtube accounts and how public we make them. I can't speak for Russell, but I have only told a very limited number of family and friends that I have an account. Mostly just other musicians and other lovers of music.

No one at work knows that I have a site. I guess I just feel that I need to have a dividing line between my work life and my private life. I have been tempted to give my site out, but I just feel that if the whole building finds out - then it will be a constant everyday "Hey ukulele guy - play us one of your songs" or requests for me to play at work functions, like Xmas parties and luncheons :eek:

So, I am curious - what about you?

By the way, my ytube site is below!!!

Had an interesting chat session the other day with Russ Buss regarding youtube accounts and how public we make them. I can't speak for Russell, but I have only told a very limited number of family and friends that I have an account. Mostly just other musicians and other lovers of music.

No one at work knows that I have a site. I guess I just feel that I need to have a dividing line between my work life and my private life. I have been tempted to give my site out, but I just feel that if the whole building finds out - then it will be a constant everyday "Hey ukulele guy - play us one of your songs" or requests for me to play at work functions, like Xmas parties and luncheons :eek:

So, I am curious - what about you?

By the way, my ytube site is below!!!

id do it ! get some gigs that way lol

most of my family and friends don't know about my youtube channel. i didn't even tell my wife about it until 6 months into it.

it's the reason i don't use my full name on any videos or use facebook. Russ Jehosophat Nguyen will never be found.

most of my family and friends don't know about my youtube channel. i didn't even tell my wife about it until 6 months into it.

it's the reason i don't use my full name on any videos or use facebook. Russ Jehosophat Nguyen will never be found.

Wait. You're Vietnamese? :confused:

I thought you had the Chinese name Jenkins.

I keep it mostly separate. Same with my performances.

It's odd - but I'd rather not have folks from my "normal" life involved with my music. Especially co-workers.

To have a stranger judge me and blow me off as a hack is just fine, but I'd rather not have to see people I know cringe when I pick up my uke.

Also, the more musicians I meet and hang out with, the less I give a crap about hanging out with anyone else. So I suspect it will all balance out in time.

How was that pretzel?

ya know, it wasn't half bad! but i've had better.

I keep it mostly separate. Same with my performances.

It's odd - but I'd rather not have folks from my "normal" life involved with my music. Especially co-workers.

To have a stranger judge me and blow me off as a hack is just fine, but I'd rather not have to see people I know cringe when I pick up my uke.

Also, the more musicians I meet and hang out with, the less I give a crap about hanging out with anyone else. So I suspect it will all balance out in time.

that pretty much sums it up for me too. "stranger" hate is a lot easier to digest than "family/friend" hate.

Mine is definitely no big secret.

I showed my cousin a few video's and it took off from there. He showed other family members, co-workers, etc.

My parents are the same way too. My mom would ask me,
"how do you get to your video's on youtube? I want to show
somebody".

My friends and my brother's friends know about it as well. Now I'm known as the ukulele man of Dearborn Heights.

I also have a bunch of aggressive rollerblading edits on the youtube, so when those people see the related video's, they find my uke video's.

Just let it all hang out there, that's what I do. I use to use different stage names when I played live, but I just got tired of living a lie.

When I first created a Youtube account I used my real name as the screen name, then deleted the account because I thought something bad would happen. Then after a few days of getting over my internet paranoia I went back to try and recreate/reactivate the account. It wouldn't let me, so that's why I used the AcousticMonster screen name. I do have my real name on my YTube and MSpace pages.

People I work with, friends, and relatives sometimes ask me to play for them in odd ways, but I just tell them to go to my YouTube page, or come see me play in front of an audience. I have yet to see them at a show yet.

Last edited:
I think the world is pretty indifferent to the ukulele, so I don't worry about it. I'm more concerned about hiding the 20 years in Folsom, the six not-quite ex-wives and the whole armadillo mud wrestling thing.

I think it depends if u want to be noticed playing the uke or if your just happy doing it on your own as a hobby. Theres benifits to both sides.:)

"the whole armadillo mud wrestling thing."

rofl!!! I'd like to see that!

I plan on becoming a ukulele rock star mama so I am building up my following now...if you want to get in on the action so you can say i knew her when...just follow my links ;)

I think we had a thread about this awhile back, didn't we?

Anyhoo, none of my family know about Ukulele JJ. :D My GF does, and she outed me to a few friends. A small bunch at work found out.

JJ

Top Bottom