Building a humidifier

ainokeato

Reaction score
I swear to jesus, next time I make one I'm going to just go the easy way and get a drill. I had no idea the sides were so close to each other in the pez, the sides as in the plastic place where you put the foam and the actual handle part. So I used a lighter and heated the edge of my scissors poked it through the sides made four holes, to find out that the melted plastic got stuck together so I ripped everything off the top stuck the scissors down the side of the pez inside to unstick everything. Then used the scissors to clean the sides and make sure that the plastic holder where you put the foam could go down without any trouble. I think i'm going to need a cover for the top which i'll make out of a bottle cap lol, I think I'm officially pro at ghettofying things, not to mention making simple things so incredibly difficult. It took an hour longer than it should have.

Anyways I was freaking out since I could barely find any pez candy dispensers at wal-mart (which kinda made me sad cause pez used to be so awesome a toy and candy all in one) what did you guys build your case humidifiers from? If not from a pez dispenser.

Pretty much any container you can stick the spongy stuff in and drill holes in will work. Altoids tins, film cans, you name it.

I was going to make a couple, but the Herco ceramic humidifiers are $4.00 at MGM's, so I bought a handful of those instead.

--Mark

Pretty much any container you can stick the spongy stuff in and drill holes in will work. Altoids tins, film cans, you name it.

I was going to make a couple, but the Herco ceramic humidifiers are $4.00 at MGM's, so I bought a handful of those instead.

--Mark

Oh wow, cool! I didn't actually know you could make one like that, that's pretty cool, I'm guessing the pez suggestion was more or less for the ease of getting the foam out, I'll make a nicer one later :).

Edit: Lol now I feel dumb, going all over looking for pez and now found I can make it out of everything I was thinking about making it out of lol.

I made mine from little plastic jewel boxes, the snap-tite kind. I happen to have dozens of them. I put in sponges.

I drilled a hole but I don't think that was necessary, as long as there's any space at all where you open it the moisture will get out.

My big question is, what can you do about mold? My sponges got moldy all of the sudden. I pulled them out of all my ukes, I don't want them to get moldy. What a horror!

Is there something better than sponges, such as Play-Dough? I think my sponges (put in damp) let out the moisture too fast - the reading inside the case was 10- 20% wetter than outside.

Top Bottom