new member, new player

djmccarten

Reaction score
Hello. I'm a violin maker in Rhode Island USA. I also own and run a violin shop. I'm giving some thought to making and selling ukuleles as well. I made one uke about 6 years ago but got too busy with other stuff to develop the skill set. So I am thinking seriously of making ukes and selling other brands of ukes. And, perhaps more importantly, I want to play the ukulele. Violin is my only instrument now.

After doing a lot of digging on line, I just purchased a Kiwaya KS-1 soprano. Does anyone have any experience with this instrument? From what I read and heard, it seems to be well set up (very important to me) yet reasonably affordable. Its a laminated body with mahogany neck and rosewood fittings. Players say it has a big sound for a laminated ukulele.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions as to which brands of instruments I should consider carrying in my shop if I go through with the selling thing?

I'm glad to be here. This seems like an exceptionally informative site!!

Dennis

First of all, welcome to U.U.!!!

Very cool that you want to carry uke's in your shop! I have never played a Kiwaya but I have also read a lot of good things about them online.

Brands to carry....that is a more complex issue. For what it is worth, I think having a good entry level brand of ukes is a must....I like Makala Dolphin bridge ukes. Then an excellent quality, but affordable uke, perhaps Mainland....a great looking, great playing uke with lots of character. Flea's and Fluke's are always a great choice for players of any level as well. Depending on what you can afford....it would be cool to also bring in something high end like Koaloha....a Hawaiian made uke that has great mojo!

Let us know what you decide! Take pictures of your uke when you get it an post them....we love new uke pictures!!

Ryan

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. And best of luck on your quest as a builder.

As for other brands to consider carrying, I'd probably suggest just spending some time in the forums and reviews and seeing where people's interests lie and what catches your fancy. There's going to be certain makes that seem to pop up regularly and I think Mainland is certainly one of them in terms of a good bang for the buck.

Top Bottom