Taiyo Na - Lovely to Me (Immigrant Mother) from the Director of The KoAloha Story

Gmoe

Reaction score
Aloha everyone!

It's been a while since I've posted since I've been super slammed at work here in Philly and then I also have been hard at work editing this documentary style music video for New York based artist Taiyo Na for his song Lovely to Me (Immigrant Mother). Though it's not an ukulele film it's roots and message are inspired by what I started with the KoAloha Ukulele Story.

I would say this is a continuation of taking what I did with the KoAloha Ukulele Story and bringing that same kind of hope and aloha to the world from an urban east coast perspective. This is Aloha with grit, heart, and Philadelphia pride and struggle.

It's a music video dedicated to not only immigrant mothers but all our moms. It was completed just this past Thanksgiving weekend and done in time to commemorate and give thanks to our moms.

Because of the special relationship that I've had with Ukulele Underground and with KoAloha I wanted to finally share it here.

The process of this film was a community based one so much of the footage was shot by youth and adults who had very little experience using a camera. So in many respects this piece is a different kind of music video not that aesthetics are thrown out the window but that it is a much more process driven creation focusing on the heart of a community.

I'm about to venture into a few documentary projects that will use this format of giving a camera to a community and then allowing individual community members to tell their personal stories. For a while even before the KoAloha Ukulele Story was created I've been meaning to send a camera out around the world to capture the music and lives of ukulele players from the well known to the novice players, focusing not just on the music but the story within the music.

I hope that after watching this piece some of you may come out of the woodwork with a story to tell, a song to play from where ever you are in the world. Please contact me. I'll be talking to a number of folks next year and will hopefully find trustworthy, unafraid of technology, brave folks who have a story about their uke, how it changed their life perhaps, what makes this instrument so much a part of you, and hopefully we can hear a song or two.

So in a way, the KoAloha Ukulele Story is an ongoing work. Sharing music and powerful stories is my life's work. This humble ukulele project will be again different from what you've seen in an ukulele film because that's the way I roll. Always with passion, heart and a twist :D

Anyway, please take a look at this little music video. I'm very proud of it. I hope this little piece touches you and inspires you and I hope those who do have a story to tell about their ukulele please feel free to PM me. I would love to have a nice representation from the community in this forum and I'll be using some innovative technologies in order to record and gather these stories next year.

Since this MV is about saying thanks to our moms. I just want to say mahalo and thank you all here at UU for supporting KoAloha, supporting the KoAloha Ukulele Story, and for being a supportive space for all who love the ukulele.

Please enjoy the world premiere of Taiyo Na's - Lovely to Me (Immigrant Mother):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAK9XGd-JKI&feature=player_embedded

Much aloha and respect,

Gary San Angel

Last edited:
Top Bottom