New ukulele...

Flinkaroo

Reaction score
Here's my problem...

Im heading away in awhile to the states but cant bring my uke with me:(. This is just cause of hassle and stuff that i dont want in the airport... I was thinking of getting one while i am there and then bringing it home(which is much easier).
Im looking to get more of a bigger uke than I have now which is a soprano. But seeing as I wouldnt no that much about brands,types and sizes I as hoping for some help!??

Regards,Flinkaroo!

Depends on many things. Not least your budget.

If you like the soprano size and find it comfortable then a concert would probably also be comfortable. That is an excellent size as it gives a bit more room than a soprano, but is still very compact and portable. Saddle to nut scale length of concert is, I believe 2" longer than that of a soprano.

If you think you'd be able to cope with something a little larger still, then the tenor size is very popular. It's the size I currently play, although I'm equally happy with concert. Scale length is another 2" over that of concert, 4" over soprano.

All the above are tuned the same. If you want a lower pitched sound then you're getting into baritone territory. Add another 2" to scale length!

I would suggest considering either Kala or Mainland ukes. Both are affordable (for many people) and have great reputations for consistent quality. I play a Kala mahogany tenor and I love it. Mainland have at least as good a rep, but may not be quite so easy to find in stores as I think their distribution is at a less developed stage just now. That said, there's always mail/web order!

Here's my problem...

Im heading away in awhile to the states but cant bring my uke with me:(. This is just cause of hassle and stuff that i dont want in the airport... I was thinking of getting one while i am there and then bringing it home(which is much easier).
Im looking to get more of a bigger uke than I have now which is a soprano. But seeing as I wouldnt no that much about brands,types and sizes I as hoping for some help!??

Regards,Flinkaroo!

Good idea to get one here. Shipping and taxes can hurt when importing into Euroland. My heart goes out to those in Denmark and Norway. Ouch!
I sold a tenor to a guy from the UK and he had no probs getting it on B.A.
So concert and tenor would be great. Many music shops don't carry the variety you can get online.

Top Bottom