Is this a problem for anyone else?

ukulelegal

Reaction score
far away from others who play ukulele...it sucks
I can read music BUTit's very hard for me. I have trouble distinguishing the notes...they all blur...I have to sit down and write the corresponding letters in order to keep it straight...

I think it's just me because I have trouble when I chart for work and it's the same thing, having to follow a line across...

Weird thing is I can read tab without a problem...any thoughts/advice/commiseration? :p

Since I've gotten older I practically need a million watt flood light to see all the notes to read music but for some reason tab is okay. I've given up and just tab most things out now especially for classical. Doug

Just thought, I'll bet if we look we can find some software that can convert to tab.

I haven't any idea. I'll look today when I have some time later on.

I am a software developer. I started working on a program for this, then bought Finale. :)

I can't read notes nor tabs, just chords. :rolleyes:

I have the same problem. My eyes get lost in all those parallel lines and by the time I figure out where I am in the score I've lost my place elsewhere.

There are plenty of tab programs out there, some better than others. Finale and Sibelius both have scanner plugins that allow you to scan a sheet of music and convert it to computer format. After that, with some work you can add a TAB staff and drag the notes onto it. They have some basic rules to follow like clustering the numbers together so you don't have 5 fret stretches and things like that. Once it's done you can drag the TAB notes you don't like to another string line and the number changes accordingly.

If you don't want to spend the big bucks for Finale or Sibelius, there are other cheaper programs out there. Powertab, Tabledit, Musedit are three of the better ones. They all have the basic functionality but without all the bells and whistles of the professional layout programs.

I have been using Guitar Pro 5. It works great for making tabs and notation at the same time, and you can add lyrics and chord diagrams. I just wish you could control the size of the diagrams and fonts more. I would like to make them bigger. I suppose I could try to enlarge them a bit in the print- out settings. Haven't attempted that yet.

If anyone wants a 25% discount on Guitar Pro 5, I got an email coupon good for one use which will expire on Dec 31. The first to PM their email to me will get it if they're interested. It is only good for one use, so only ask if you are planning on using it.

–Lori

I think it's just me because I have trouble when I chart for work and it's the same thing, having to follow a line across...

:p

I have the same prob. I once got a job where they tried to get me to count the lines between two dots... Couldn't do it. Maybe I should try learning to read tabs.

Uhh, last time I checked Finale was about $500. Not likely a free copy will be finding it's way to you any time soon. :cool:

The other choices are much more affordable, especially if you're not a professional music publisher.

There are several Finale products, ranging from Finale NotePad ($9.95 download) which does TAB for Guitar & Bass only, to the full featured Finale which goes for $600 (educators can get it for about half, sometimes bundled with Band In A Box, look for deals before & after Christmas). I have Finale 2009 which does TAB for many fretted instruments & can be adjusted for non standard tunings. Finale Website

Finale Allegro is one step down from the full featured version, and appears to do TAB and chords grids for many fretted instruments, including Ukulele. It goe for $199. Finale Allegro

Are there any UUers that have used Finale Allegro for Uke TABs who can weigh in on this notation software?

Never heard of it... :p No seriously...never heard of it but now that I have I will check it out. btw if you hooked me up with a free copy I'd be glad to write a review and post it on my pages. :D

You never know...

A lot depends on the contacts that you make with companies. I have written several software reviews over the years, but I was also editor-in-chief of a computer magazine years ago and I have written over 1000 published articles and five books. So, I have some connections.

If you meet with the right marketing people, there are ways that you can get opportunities, but, it also takes a significant amount of traffic for someone to consider giving you the deal.

199$ that's better...but I still think for now I will just do it the hard way...tab sheets and a pencil. I need a travel uke more at this point...going to Grand Canyon in May and know that there is no way I can survive 10 days without a uke!!! :eek:

Top Bottom