From the newspaper, 12-2-09

mailman

Knit-wit
UU VIP
Reaction score
Found in the Newsday crossword puzzle:

5 DOWN - Diamond Head's island (4 letters)

27 ACROSS - 5 Down instrument (3 letters)

How cool is that?

Very Cool!!!! :cool:

I saw that too! It made me smile. :D Seems like things related to Hawai'i are common in crosswords. Must be because of all the vowels.

I've also had both of those answers...the one for "Oahu" was "Diamond Head locale," I think? And the one for "uke" was "cousin of the mandolin, briefly."

It's so exciting! :D

Edit: Just found "Lanai" as an answer to "Island near Maui." I'm liking this crossword!

Last edited:
Yeah, Hawaii terms are pretty popular. I've seen "lei" and "maui/oahu/lanai" used a lot..."hula" is another popular one. It is almost definitely for the vowels. French terms are even more popular though.

Crosswords are awesome, even though I can't do anything past Wednesday. :D

27 ACROSS - 5 Down instrument (3 letters)

Hate to be a crossword nerd, but that's not a very good clue. IMHO. If it's three letters, then the answer must be "uke", which is short for "ukulele". It's common practice in most of these cases to put some hint in the clue that they are looking for an abbreviation or "short" form.

Like: 5 Down inst.

Or: 5 Down instrument, for short

I bet Will Shortz would never print a clue like that. :p

JJ

Jeopardy

There was a ukulele related question on Jeopardy the other night: When did the height of ukulele popularity in the U.S. occur? The answer: the 1920's

Top Bottom