Strings coiled on headstock

leftovermagic84

Reaction score
This is probably a silly question, but every once in a while I see a ukulele strung up with a coil of extra string around each tuner on the headstock. Is this an extra string in case one breaks, or just the unclipped remainder of the original string? Is there a purpose for this, or is it purely decorative? I attached an example from facemelting ukulele's cover of gravity. I hope he doesn't mind. Thanks!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 39
Usually means a string change happened without the benefit of scissors or knife to trim the excess string, so it gets tidied up that way instead ... ;)

Sometimes I will coil a string in case I plan to take it off and reuse it. Especially for the Low G/ High G option. Having the extra length makes it possible to use the same strings on a longer scale, like going from a soprano to concert (which often uses the same string diameters anyway). The Low G (Worth Clear Med) is the same diameter for both Tenor and Concert as well.

–Lori

This is probably a silly question, but every once in a while I see a ukulele strung up with a coil of extra string around each tuner on the headstock. Is this an extra string in case one breaks, or just the unclipped remainder of the original string? Is there a purpose for this, or is it purely decorative? I attached an example from facemelting ukulele's cover of gravity. I hope he doesn't mind. Thanks!

I think for extra string AND decorative - it does look fancy. And I know in Uke Minutes 5, the last "tag" titled Excess strings, Aldrine shows an alternative to cutting your strings which was to do just that - coil the string.

Thanks, that actually came up in the search and I passed right over it, thinking the search just found the "strings" Now I'm in the know.

I do this for one simple reason.

If the string breaks at the nut or tuner, I throw it away - BUT - if the string breaks at the saddle, keeping the spare string at the top allows you to re use the string.

Simples

I think some people just like the way it looks. Deach has his strings hanging out all the time (But that sounds more like a personal problem) ;)

erm? nope, I dont like the way it looks - i do it to save a string when it breaks.

In fact, when I was putting new Worths on my Mainland, the string moving at the nut made me think it was slipping a little, and I over tightened it - string snapped at the bridge, and I just re-knotted it as the bridge end, unwound a bit from the peg, and used the rest of the string.

I clip my acoustic guitar strings, because they get changed very regularly anyway.

Back in the day (late 60's,early 70's) folk guitar players coiled their strings-- I think we figured it would give us a more folksy,soulful look in the era of free love...:D
Of course, with a steel string guitar you had to have a wire cutter handy if you wanted to cut the excess string off, not a mere scissors like ukers can get away with. Looks like it's coming back in style.

You guys break strings??? I play quite hard sometimes, especially if I'm using a mic on stage rather than a pickup, but I never had a string break on my current uke. :confused:

One reason I don't like leaving excess string at the tuner is that it can cause buzzes.

When I swap strings around (back and forth between high and low G, for example) I find no problems putting the trimmed ones back on. If you store them carefully the tie bar end retains the shape of the wrapping and they go back on precisely as they were. :)

I still do it from time to time, but it's noisy - especially with wound strings. Now I only do it if there is nothing to cut it with nearby.

Much more of a worry on my guitars though - just one more rattle I don't need.

In 25 years of playing things with strings, I've never put a blown string back on anything, just seems - wrong somehow.

erm? nope, I dont like the way it looks - i do it to save a string when it breaks.

In fact, when I was putting new Worths on my Mainland, the string moving at the nut made me think it was slipping a little, and I over tightened it - string snapped at the bridge, and I just re-knotted it as the bridge end, unwound a bit from the peg, and used the rest of the string.

I clip my acoustic guitar strings, because they get changed very regularly anyway.

Never thought of that!! Thanks for the tip!! :)

Top Bottom