Any advice on where to buy a new Uke?

zdiver7

Reaction score
Ok, so bascially I'm trying to find the best deal, so far I'm pretty deadset on buying the Kala KA-T mahogany tenor from eBay(MGM). Looks like it'll be about $160 shipped with a case...

Does anyone have any suggestions on other brands/places to get a uke of similar quality? I don't want to spend anymore than $160, and I think that so far, this does seem to be the best deal but you never know...

Thanks for any advice! :)

Ok, so bascially I'm trying to find the best deal, so far I'm pretty deadset on buying the Kala KA-T mahogany tenor from eBay(MGM). Looks like it'll be about $160 shipped with a case...

Does anyone have any suggestions on other brands/places to get a uke of similar quality? I don't want to spend anymore than $160, and I think that so far, this does seem to be the best deal but you never know...

Okay, so Kala is sort of the rival to Lanikai. Lanikai also makes a tenor mahogany model too, but I think that Kala is better in quality. (I have one, so I'm biased. :cool:)

Kala makes good starter ukulele for their prices, can't go wrong with that.

A local guitar center or sam ash usually carries Lanikai, but not Kala.

I think the ukulele is worth less than 160, but your getting the MGM setup! He ships super fast, adjusts the action, and oils down the frets. His packaging is extremely nice, and the books, tuner, and case is a bonus! :p

Personally, I don't really like the Aquila's that come with it, true they are better than stock GHS strings, but I have yet to try Worth strings.

I bought my first ukulele from MGM too, good luck! :D

I think MGM is the best deal. You could get the Lanikai LU-21T for less money...but wouldn't come with a case or any other accessories or the setup (totally worth it).

FWIW...for an extra $20, you could get the Kala flamed mahogany tenor with a pickup and free shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JUST-ARRIVED-Flame-mahogany-Kala-Tenor-Ukulele-KA-TEM_W0QQitemZ250542556576QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a558005a0#ht_2604wt_945

I know you didn't want to go over $160...but think how cool it would be. I'm just sayin' ;)

OMG that flamed mahogany looks awesome, especially for the price!!!! I don't know though... this one will just be a x-mas gift and we're really tight on cash right now because we just had a baby and all... hmm, maybe I could by the flamed for myself and just pass on my uke as the gift.. j/k :)

Hopefully this summer we will be going back to HI and I plan on buying another uke when we go, if we can go back to Kauai I'll be back at Larry's Music where I got my Kamoa, but if we just end up staying on Oahu then I'll head over to Kaneohe to check out MGM's shop in person and pick that flamed Kala up :D

but for now, this one I will be buying is a gift, not that I'm trying to be cheap, but the less money spent right now, the better... but who knows, I might just break down and spend the other $20... I will just be incredibly jealous!

Check out this post . . . there are a good number of stores in the SD area as far north as Oceanside.

The Kala KA-T mahogany tenor Ia $139.95 plua $21.95 shipping. It comes with a pitchpipe, not an electronic tuner, which is more useful and desirable than a pitchpipe IMO.

This is an absolutely gorgeous uke, the wood is just stunning. However, I didn't see any mention of a pickup.

The included KC-02 clip-on electronic tuner sells separately for $22.95. With free shipping and the included tuner, it's actually cheaper than the KA-T and shipping and a tuner.

If you don't already have a clip-on tuner and want one, I don't think it would be considered too cheezy to keep the tuner for your yourself and give the nicer looking uke as a gift and let the recipient buy their own dang tuner. :p If I did the math right, it would be like buying the cheaper uke for a gift and buying the tuner for yourself for only $17.10 and getting free shipping on it. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom