Stuck between two ukuleles

Slaskie

Reaction score
I have recently decided to buy a new ukulele, but I am stuck between two models. I am buying from my local Guitar Center and tried out all of their ukuleles and narrowed it down to the $179 Cordoba 20TM-CE Tenor and the $ 199 Lanikai CK-CGC Concert. The Lanikai has a slightly more exotic sound in my opinion and looks better than the Cordoba, but the Cordoba has electronics installed which will make it easier for me to play for people, etc. However, I am not very experienced with ukuleles, so I hoping that you all would offer me your opinions / suggestions on the two and which to buy. Thanks very much!

I'm assuming your budget is $200 or so. You mentioned 2 different sizes, tenor and concert. Which one are you comfortable playing? Now you need to decide if you want electronics or not. Electronics usually add to the cost of the instrument. Picking between a Cordoba and a Lanikai, it would probably be the latter. Cordobas are kinda hit and miss.

I don't know where you're located and if GC is your only outlet, I would suggest one of the online vendors like MGM, Uke Repbublic, The Ukulele Shop or consider a Mainland (probably the best bang for the buck). You may wanna check the Music Stores List, maybe there's one close to you.

There is one other music store, but its ukuleles are too expensive. I am going to buy locally from GC, so the two ukuleles described are my only options. The Cordoba was slightly easier fingerpicking because of its wider Tenor-size frets but the Lanikai had a more pleasing sound to it when strummed. I do want electronics, but only the Cordoba has a mic installed - what would I use for the lanikai?
----IRRELEVANT POST - I changed my mind and am going to buy from MGM :p ----

Last edited:
I have to second the previous advice. Buy from MGM or Mainland, get a better uke, properly set-up (the ones at GC are definitely not set up), better strings, good prices from people with connections to their customers.

And if instant gratification is a factor- my uke from MGM was in my hands two days after i ordered it- and that included the time needed to install a special pickup.

I have shopped plenty at GC and will do so again, but now keep my purchases more in the accessories, electronics, software, headphones, and other gear.

Alright, so you are saying that the Lanikai CK-C and the Cordoba are not as good quality as the Kalas bought from MGM? I went to MGM and found this Kala Koa Concert that looked good to me. Since I am new with ukuleles and generally prefer playing an instrument before buying, I am wary of buying online but if you all insist I will purchase a uke from this much-esteemed MGM :). Does the above uke look good (and of course, is it better than the Lanikai and the Cordoba)?

Last edited:
There is one other music store, but its ukuleles are too expensive. I am going to buy locally from GC, so the two ukuleles described are my only options. The Cordoba was slightly easier fingerpicking because of its wider Tenor-size frets but the Lanikai had a more pleasing sound to it when strummed. I do want electronics, but only the Cordoba has a mic installed - what would I use for the lanikai?
Lanikai and Kala are somewhat similar instruments. Kala offers a wider variety of instruments because of the different types of woods used. Both use Shadow Electronics in their instruments. IMO, you would be better off purchasing one already built in vs getting a third party pickup.

As far as vendors, I would take the time to call/email and talk to them. I'm sure they will answer any questions you have and recommend an instrument to fit your needs. MGM, Mainland (hoosierhiver) and Uke Republic are members on the forum and won't steer anyone wrong for the sake of a sale.

Thanks for your advice, it seems I'm going to buy a Kala Koa Concert Uke from MGM which will save me money versus the Lanikai because of the included hardshell case :D and I'm emailing MGM to see if he installs pickups for an added fee, because none of his low range concerts had installed pickups.

I have a solid mahogany kala from mgm its beautiful and superbly set up

Top Bottom