Ukulele Electro-acoustic vs Regular

UkeRupp

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I have just discovered UU and instantly fell in love. You guys are a great community which I am pleased to have joined. Now, right now I play OS OU-2, and it was a nice beginner's tool and has served me well of these past two years, but now I feel like investing money...well, my parents--Gotta love Christmas, eh? :) The uke I have had my eye on for some time is the Kala KA-TE. I am planning on going through MGM, since you guys have nothing but the best to say of him. The KA-TE is a mahogany electro-acoustic, and the thought just dawned on me, Are ukuleles like guitars in a way that the electric sounds different than the acoustic? To clear things up, I am meaning when the KA-TE is not plugged in, does it sound like the KA-T (No electric)? Or does it need to be plugged in to sound right?
If you guys could help me out, that would be wonderful!
Also, if you have any helpful tips on what to expect switching from a concert (or soprano, not actually positive) to a tenor...I feel I will like the newer sound.
Thanks in advance,
A new neighbor,
Alex

Welcome, Alex!

Hey Alex,

Welcome to UU!

I've found that I really cannot tell the difference in sound between electrified and non-electrified ukes when played acoustic. In the guitar analogy, think big box guitars; good either way.

I play a soprano, concert, and tenor and have no problems going between them. I don't think the size would be a problem. I prefer the concert to the tenor. For me, the tenor starts to lose the "uke" sound and starts to lean toward the guitar a little.

Again, welcom to the Forums.

John

Thanks

Hey John,
Thanks a lot for the swift reply. I am going to get the KA-TE now that I know the sound will be the same. I can't wait!
Thanks again,
Alex

Top Bottom