what is the difference...

AnthonyUkulele

Reaction score
what is the difference between a wound c string and just a nylon c string?

AJ GO BACK TO CLASS STOP POSTING ON THE FORUMS .... AND GIVE ME YOUR UKULELE!!!!!

yea actually it does give it a different sound, especially when you have 3 nylons and 1 wound one. It still sound good thought, at least IMO

Wire-wound strings have their positives and negatives. On one hand they have a higher tension than regular nylon strings. Typically, that makes them louder and clearer than nylons (loose nylons can sound floppy and muddy).

On the other hand, you tend to get a lot of squeak when you slide your finger down the string. The tone from a wire-wound string is also different (some brands sound more "metallic" than others). Also, with some brands, the wire-wound strings over-power the nylons and may drown out some of higher notes (I've always thought that full nylon sets tend to be better balanced).

Ultimately, it'll come down to personal preference...what works and feels right for you. In my opinion, the C-string typically has enough tension that I don't see the need for a wire-wound string, but again, it'll ultimately comes down to what works for you

When I bought my Kala tenor, it had a set of GHS strings with a wound C string, and after a year of playing, I noticed that the metal C string had started to wear grooves in my frets where the two met. I now have a set of D'Addario Pro Arte ( all nylon ) strings on it, and I like them much better.

Aloha
Acabo'oe:cool:

sweet thanks hmm...i think imma keep the ghs on mine for awhile just to get used to...then maybe later ill change to all nylon

AJ GO BACK TO CLASS STOP POSTING ON THE FORUMS .... AND GIVE ME YOUR UKULELE!!!!!

yea actually it does give it a different sound, especially when you have 3 nylons and 1 wound one. It still sound good thought, at least IMO

hahah nicko do you even know what your talking about...you havent heard a all nylon tenor in your face yet but soon it will happen once i buy those stings imma strumm the crap out of it in your face hahah jk

Top Bottom