Daddario strings?

Pandamonium

Reaction score
Soo I read a few other posts... And a few said that there were different kinds of them? May I just ask if there's a certain one that Jake uses? And is there a good chance of buzzing since apparently they're thicker? Also if there are different ones is this the one that Jake uses by any chance?

http://www.juststrings.com/dad-j54.html

And is there a good chance of buzzing since apparently they're thicker?

Don't take my word for it someone can back me up, but I don't think that buzz is any more likely with the thicker strings because they are supported on the very bottom edge of the string by the nut and saddle (and frets). So to me that implies that the distance between string and fretboard should be the same, and only depends on nut and saddle height.

Hopefully that made sense.

I think there was a post on this and if memory serves me right, Jake uses D'Addario Pro Arte classical guitar strings. So does Aldrine. The ones for the tenor 'ukulele are the J-71 and they are clear nylon.

As far as buzzing, if the string doesn't fit in the nut slot, it may. You may find the answer in this thread.

I haven't had buzzing issues with them, but I did stop using D'addarios. Mainly because I found that the extra thickness of the C string made it sit up higher action than the other three strings, and made it less comfortable for me to play. I suppose you could have the nut adjusted, but I figured I'd just opt for Savarez, Worth or Fremont strings instead. They do sound nice though, and if Jake and Aldrine use them, you know they are good.

Don't take my word for it someone can back me up, but I don't think that buzz is any more likely with the thicker strings because they are supported on the very bottom edge of the string by the nut and saddle (and frets). So to me that implies that the distance between string and fretboard should be the same, and only depends on nut and saddle height.

Hopefully that made sense.

That makes sense to me. Additionally, thicker strings of the same material will be at higher tension which might make them less likely to buzz.

The music store I work at carries the D'Addario Pro Arte strings. All my ukes had Aquilas on it and I decided to try a set of Pro Arte strings on my Pono. I really like the thickness of them and I think they sound great (although not nearly as bright as the Aquilas). I've since restrung a couple of my ukes with them.

ahh alright then.. Well once I buy my tenor I'll be sure to invest in some D'Addario strings, thanks everyone!

ahh alright then.. Well once I buy my tenor I'll be sure to invest in some D'Addario strings, thanks everyone!

Good luck with them, but don't assume that they'll definitely suit you and/or your uke. I tried the D'Addario Pro Artes on my mahogany tenor, partly because D'Addario make my favourite mandolin strings, and also becasue Aldrine seemes to get such a great sound out of them. It didn't work out. To my great disappointment I didn't like 'em at all. :(

Hope they work for you. :)

Yup, completely agree with buddhuu. You're gonna have to do a lot of experimenting with various strings. What may sound good to someone may not sound as good to you and vice versa.

D'Addarios were a tremendous improvement over stock, but they seem to be pretty hard strings after i play my makala with aquilas.

Top Bottom