The Beatles Complete on Ukulele Festival

schubs

Reaction score
http://www.thelmagazine.com/newyork/Event?oid=1457977

If you live in NYC, then there is this thing going on at

Brooklyn Bowl
61 Wythe Ave, between N 11th and N 12th Sts (map)
Williamsburg

A music producer is playing 185 beatles songs on a ukulele. It is only ten dollars to get in and he encourages you to come and bring your ukulele. I would go but i don't live in NYC. It already started at noon but you can still go for a couple of hours.

Looks like the opening was the best part. :( I dropped by around 6pm hoping to see the place crawling with uke players and was disappointed. It was mostly guitars/bass/drums and guest singers, with the one uke guy strumming somewhere in the back. Saw maybe two people with ukes in the audience. Most of the crowd didn't seem to be into it at all (some hipster in flannel with a neckbeard kept announcing loudly that it sucked). The band played well, and some of the guest singers provided some neat renditions, but the part I saw was really lacking in the uke department. Was the rest of the show like this?

Last edited:
beatles complete

The beginning (mass ukulele event) was really fun - probably 30-40 ukuleles - one gal came from Akron, Ohio :). I stayed till around 2:30 - most of the ukers had or were leaving. Met some nice folks. Well worth the trip up from Philadelphia.

Nice photos, jenford. I was there from the beginning until about 3 along with another UU member. Many of the acts consisted of singers and guitarists with a token ukulele player strumming inaudibly on the side. It was fun enough, but not worth sticking around for 13 hours.

brooklyn

ahhh...I was the woman with the pink ukulele!

Looks like the opening was the best part. :( I dropped by around 6pm hoping to see the place crawling with uke players and was disappointed. It was mostly guitars/bass/drums and guest singers, with the one uke guy strumming somewhere in the back. Saw maybe two people with ukes in the audience. Most of the crowd didn't seem to be into it at all (some hipster in flannel with a neckbeard kept announcing loudly that it sucked). The band played well, and some of the guest singers provided some neat renditions, but the part I saw was really lacking in the uke department. Was the rest of the show like this?

I think you probably came a bit too late. To play in the 'uke mob' to kick off the show - you needed to be there at 11AM. So there were probably at least 30 uke players there but they were probably heading out in the first wave since they got there the earliest. I had a blast - hung out with some great enthusiast and was seeing people jamming all over the place. I stayed til about 7 but was pretty shot after 7.5 hours of drinking ;o) That was me in the grey scarf in some of those pics - i also got interviewed by NY1 on the way out and I had a little byte on the 11 oclock news. Overall I thought it was a great event!

I didn't see that neck bearded hipster being a jerk off - but I wish I did. That's really rude - even if it did suck. I would have been happy to 'straighten him out' a little bit ;o)

blast

I had a great time - got there early and hung out with some great folks! Played in the mass ukulele event and loved the whole vibe!

Top Bottom