Print ukulele magazine

rubenken

Reaction score
At present we have Ukulele Player online, and that's about it. Do you think there would be much interest in a print magazine along the lines of Acoustic Guitar, which includes interviews, articles about performers and luthiers, reviews, lessons, and tab?

I would love it but I'm not sure there are enough of us to make work their while.

I love the price of 'Ukulele Player magazine. ;)

The price is definitely nice - but I personally would also be willing to spend a few bucks to get a print version of it also.

I would absolutely subscribe to a print magazine about ukuleles. Without a doubt.

I'd be in.....

A print magazine on the Acoustic Guitar model would accept advertising and could have a relatively large budget to pay for diverse content.

I'd be very interested. If such a thing existed, it'd have already been on my Christmas wish list.
I really do like magazines in their physical form. I may read most of my books in kindle format these days, but I still want my magazines in their page flipping, multi text glory. The marriage of print and visual.
Okay, I like magazines a little too much. I'd love to be hoarding not just ukuleles but ukulele magazines.

I'd subscribe!
--G

I think most Ukulele enthusiast would love to see a glossy magazine with articles, photos, and advertisements to drool over. The question is can it be put out at a price that folks would feel comfortable buying and make a sufficient profit to continue the publication.

One of my favorite magazines is National Geographic's "Adventure". Unfortunately they are stopping publication of it after this month. I imagine they probably had an incredible base for subscription potentials.

I could go on for probably many hours yada yada yada. But business plan is something that you should put together. From the Google listing it says you have 75,000 readers. So you have a bit of information already. I'd think the very first thing you can do right off the bat is start selling advertising on your online pages. If I'm not mistaken it is the advertising where the money primarily comes from.

Sure hope you succeed at coming out with the magazine.

Have a Great Day.
Jim

I just print out Ukulele Player so I can read it in the bathroom. :D

Same here, Haole. I print several copies for local music stores. Mickey's done one heckuva' job on this publication. There's an article in this month's issue with comments from Mickey's wife, that truly explains Mickey's passion for the little four string wonder. I tip my hat to Mickey - he sought out the sponsorship to bring his art to the world free of charge. There's a statement there that cannot be described in words. I hope to visit Ohio some day and personally thank him for this major contribution to our passion for the uke. Ric

The price is definitely nice - but I personally would also be willing to spend a few bucks to get a print version of it also.

I know that people have asked me about that, but, my readership is truly global in scope. To print a magazine, I'd have to work about three or four months out... then, I'd have to pay for postage in a bulk rate for global distribution, which would have all manner of political and economic red-tape, then, my expenses would sky-rocket.

Right now, the magazine is FREE and will remain so, but, the cost is largely absorbed by the rest of my publishing activities.

Online distribution is the only practical way to reach our 100,000 readers (world-wide). Hence, I can continue to offer the magazine for free and every ukulele player out there can read it online, or print it and read it offline if they so desire. I have made it high-resolution enough so that it prints pretty well.

The effort is worth it. If I tried to offer it in print, I'd have to be a wealthy man with no thought of the cost and plan each issue much farther in advance.

I should also add that right now, retailers in every corner of the globe benefit from the magazine because access is great. All you need is an internet connection and an Acrobat Reader, which is pre-installed on every computer these days. The merchants and manufacturers all benefit from my news and reviews and the artists, luthiers, and other enthusiasts can reach a global audience. I really feel good about that.

Last edited:
Same here, Haole. I print several copies for local music stores. Mickey's done one heckuva' job on this publication. There's an article in this month's issue with comments from Mickey's wife, that truly explains Mickey's passion for the little four string wonder. I tip my hat to Mickey - he sought out the sponsorship to bring his art to the world free of charge. There's a statement there that cannot be described in words. I hope to visit Ohio some day and personally thank him for this major contribution to our passion for the uke. Ric
Well said ricdoug, my sentiments exactly. Mahalo Mickey, and keep up the good work!

Thanks for great insights. What Google listing did you access?

I think most Ukulele enthusiast would love to see a glossy magazine with articles, photos, and advertisements to drool over. The question is can it be put out at a price that folks would feel comfortable buying and make a sufficient profit to continue the publication.

One of my favorite magazines is National Geographic's "Adventure". Unfortunately they are stopping publication of it after this month. I imagine they probably had an incredible base for subscription potentials.

I could go on for probably many hours yada yada yada. But business plan is something that you should put together. From the Google listing it says you have 75,000 readers. So you have a bit of information already. I'd think the very first thing you can do right off the bat is start selling advertising on your online pages. If I'm not mistaken it is the advertising where the money primarily comes from.

Sure hope you succeed at coming out with the magazine.

Have a Great Day.
Jim

I like the online magazine concept. A print version of a uke magazine would be handy if it included tabs. That would be nice. As much as I like having a print magazine to hold, I like trees better. So, I think the online magazine is great.

Now I am looking for a 2010 calendar. If only there was a calendar for Ukulele enthusiasts. Now, that could be good! I have been looking, and no luck yet.:anyone:

–Lori

I like the online magazine concept. A print version of a uke magazine would be handy if it included tabs. That would be nice. As much as I like having a print magazine to hold, I like trees better. So, I think the online magazine is great.

Now I am looking for a 2010 calendar. If only there was a calendar for Ukulele enthusiasts. Now, that could be good! I have been looking, and no luck yet.:anyone:

–Lori

A group of Swedes over at Ukulele Cosmos post a calendar every year and the 2010 uke calendar was just posted over there.

Top Bottom