Low G Intonation and Buzz issue

phanzo

Reaction score
Ok so I just put a Low G string on my new Mainland and it has thrown the intonation off. Even more of an issue is the buzzing that I am getting on the first 3 frets of the E string. Super annoying. Any thoughts on why this is happening and what I can do about it?

Last edited:
Ok so I just put a Low G string on my new Mainland and it has thrown the intonation off. Even more of an issue is the buzzing that I am getting on the first 3 frets of the E string. Super annoying. Any thoughts on why this is happening and what I can do about it?

It's weird. Sometimes the E string isnt buzzing, then other times it is. I'm kinda liking the vibe I'm getting from the wound G. I'd like to try an unwound G and compare them but I think I will keep this wound one on for a while.

Do you think that maybe with the G string stretching out, it has helped relieve the intonation issues a bit and helped the buzz? Maybe there is less tension now on the bridge since the other strings were already stretched out and the G needed some stretching? :anyone:

Give that new Low G a few days to settle in. It's still stretching. Sometimes, I find I have to adjust my playing a little on the Low G string. It can sound louder than the other strings, and I have to pull back on my thumb stroke when hitting that string to strike a good balance (when finger picking anyway). It might be buzzing because it is moving more than the other strings.

–Lori

I think you might have a bad E string, I'll send you a new one.
With low G strings, have a close look at the nut and see if the string is sitting comfortably in the groove.

That would be awesome Mike, thanks!! I'm not sure what the issue is but I will certainly give that a shot. Looking at the Low G string, I dont see anything weird, it seems to be sitting in the groove the same as all the others. Do you think it could be a problem with the saddle? Maybe it's uneven or something? I don't know much about the individual hardware and what to look for. Thoughts?

Did you have a whole set for the low g? If so take the E string that came in that set and try it out. Just an idea.

Top Bottom