A very sad story of our times

nohandles

Reaction score
Sunday we are playing for a group home called Brendon manor. This is a home for people who have severe mental disorders- schizophrenic's and multiple personalities and there aren't any other places like this. The first year we did a Christmas concert for them we were met with sadness- oh the sadness. But they responded, by the middle of the concert they were smiling dancing and singing. It is so sad that this will be the last time we get to be with them they are closing at the end of December. I'm so sad- I've prayed to win the lotto so I could keep them afloat. Many of them have no place to go and may end up back in the gutter where they were picked up from.
I'm sorry to be such a downer but my heart is heavy with this sadness. I can only hope the memory of our music will linger forever in them and bring a smile to their face and some warmth to their hearts.

Doug

Brendon,

It sounds like you gave them a huge gift. Next time the economy is on its feet -- and i hope that's soon -- remind your local gov't that they have to care for the helpless FIRST. My state had a 2-billion dollar surplus just a few years ago, and reduced the psychiatric beds while increasing less critical stuff. Now...no suplus and not much to show from it.

Dave

This sad, sad story touches my heart. When I was a young adult, one of the first real jobs I had was as a "music therapist" at a home for retarded adults. Mind you, I had no degree in music therapy, but that was my title for want of a better one. One of my daily routines was sitting in a room full of severely retarded and autistic adults playing guitar and singing. It was amazing how these people would respond to music, when other stimuli would produce no response. Ultimately, the facility was shut down for lack of funding, and often is the time I wonder what became of the residents. Music is a powerful healer. One need look no further than this forum for proof of that. Don't worry about it being a "downer" of a topic. 'Tis the season, I think, to ponder such things and to count our blessings.

Last edited:
Yes, this is sadly the case across the U.S. I work in mental health and when I have severly mentally ill clients who are decompensating I most often have no resources to give them.....there is just nothing out there if they don't have insurance, which most of my clients do not. :(

I often ask suffering clients about what music is important to them and when they are really struggling, I hope to have them bring the healing music back into their lives.

I can relate to the sadness you feel for these people who suffer.....glad you spoke up.

Doug, you go out there and play your heart out man. Our goverment needs help when so many mental health clinics, women shelters, homeless shelters, etc are neglected from tax dollars and have to depend on private dollars. Play your heart out man.

Bless you for what you have done, Doug - it is a sad story, but it still has its little triumphs, too - you brought music and joy into these people's lives. Even if the home closes, music is one of those things that carries very powerful memories - they WILL remember.

Top Bottom