Hello from San Diego

sdreefsurf

Reaction score
hi there everyone! i'm not only brand new to the ukulele but i'm new to learning any instrument. i don't possess a musical bone in me but as sort of a lasting memory of my dad i'm taking it up. the short story is my dad passed away last year of cancer. he was the kind of guy that could pick up any instrument and play it. these last 3 years or so he's been learning and playing the ukulele taking lessons from chika up in the south bay area of la and lessons from herb ota jr. when he was in town. both of these 2 guys visited my dad in the hospital which really raised his already high spirits.
anyway, i'm really set on learning despite my lack of natural ability lol. i inherited one of his ukes that i think is a ""koaloha black label with low g and deluxe". i'm not sure what that means but that's what it says in the case lol i'm thankful of this site, the great ppl here, and the other resources out there that hopefully will help me learn this beautiful instrument.

thanks everyone in advance!

lance

here's a pic of dad learning from herb jr
IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg
IMG_0262.jpg

Attachments

• PC070001.JPG
    PC070001.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 11
  • PC070002.JPG
    PC070002.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 9
  • PC070003.JPG
    PC070003.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 7
  • PC070004.JPG
    PC070004.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
well thank you and you're right i need to learn and pass along his memories

Sorry to hear about your dad. It looks like he found comfort and joy in playing
the ukulele. What part of San Diego are you in? There are some really good
ukulele teachers all around San Diego. There is also kanikapila in Pacific
Beach, Encinitas, Carlsbad and Oceanside. There are some in the East
County, too. Ric

I'm really sorry to hear about your dad. Losing a family member is very difficult to deal with. Welcome to U.U. I wish you the best of luck learning your new instrument. Here at U.U. you will find a wealth of information and help..

Sorry to hear about your dad. It looks like he found comfort and joy in playing
the ukulele. What part of San Diego are you in? There are some really good
ukulele teachers all around San Diego. There is also kanikapila in Pacific
Beach, Encinitas, Carlsbad and Oceanside. There are some in the East
County, too. Ric

thanks guys!
who are some great ukulele teaches here in san diego?

thank you sir! i'm spending a lot of time here on uu reading and absorbing info...well, attempting to absorb info lol there's a lot of very very helpful ppl here for sure. being new to this i didn't know anything about that humidifier my dad has in all his instrument cases. i was just up in la and went through all of them and added water to 10-12 instrument cases. anyways, thanks for the words everyone and any advice for this noob is always appreciated!

Deepest sympathies and condolences on the loss of Dad. I lost both my parents about 2 months apart my Dad not able to carry on without my mom at his side after almost 60 years together and so dying of a broken heart. :(
He got me started in 'ukulele over 40 years ago, and was my very best friend even my best man at my wedding almost 30 years ago. WE have the memories which keep them alive in our hearts. Mahalo for sharing the pictures, they tell a thousand words. :)

thank you sir....my sympathies go out to you as well. although i miss my dad soooo much, the last thing he'd want is for me to be sad. instead i'm sure he wants all of us to keep living life to the fullest and enjoying family and friends. playing ukulele connects me to him now and for some offers comfort. i just kick myself that i never showed an interest in learning anything while he was here. now that's not mart on my part! my nephew however was learning from him and the videos of them playing together are priceless.
thank you again!

Condolences

My most sincere condolences to you and your family. Please do not be hard on yourself for not showing interest in your father's love for music. I am pretty sure he does not want you to beat yourself. The fact that you are picking up something that he loved and to continue that love through you is somewhat to be a tribute. It may even be his legacy to and for you! Yes we go over the "If's and the But's" and the "Should have's" and the "Could have's." That we must do. It is part of grieving then we move on. I am pretty sure that he is smiling down on you right now or might even play with you when you pick up the "little 4 string wonders."

As far as for teachers, Uncle Frank Leong teaches in SD. He teaches in Mira Costa College in North County and through Motu Hawaii in Pacific Beach. you could check these out.

yes you're very correct! what i meant is i never took advantage of learning music from him. but we all loved his music and his passion for music and how it brought everyone together.
i will definitely check out uncle frank leong......thanks for the recommendation!

My most sincere condolences to you and your family. Please do not be hard on yourself for not showing interest in your father's love for music. I am pretty sure he does not want you to beat yourself. The fact that you are picking up something that he loved and to continue that love through you is somewhat to be a tribute. It may even be his legacy to and for you! Yes we go over the "If's and the But's" and the "Should have's" and the "Could have's." That we must do. It is part of grieving then we move on. I am pretty sure that he is smiling down on you right now or might even play with you when you pick up the "little 4 string wonders."

As far as for teachers, Uncle Frank Leong teaches in SD. He teaches in Mira Costa College in North County and through Motu Hawaii in Pacific Beach. you could check these out.

Welcome to UU. :)

So sorry to hear about your dad. :(

thank you! this site is great.......it's coming along slowly but damn it's fun!

awesome thanks! i called motu already and i might try then out...very reasonable at $71/6-lessons

Yup, that's Babe Valero's shop. You'll be in second heaven there with all the Hawaiian gear, clothing, foodstufs and ukuleles she stocks. Babe also leads one of the largest halau's in Southern California. Tell her Ric Douglas sent you! Ric

ric, i've actually been in the store before. i used to frequent dakines upstairs when it was there....that place was the bomb!

There's a large patio dining area by Ocean's Pizza just to the left of Motu Hawaii, where Frank Leong gives the lessons there. Frank also leads a very large kanikapila in Encinitas at Todays Pizza and Salad on Santa Fe Drive off the 5 freeway on Wednesday nights from 6PM to 9PM. Ric

see you in class

Sdreefsurf

Hey cuz, I just might see you in Uncle Frank's class via Motu Hawaii. He's pretty kick back/lax instructor. Fellow students also very humble/low key. Different spectrum of ages, young and young-at-heart. You fit right in. You may want to bring a light sweater, will be kinda chilly.

Top Bottom