any1 know if these lyrics exist?

bREAd

Reaction score
Hello, i started writing a song and as i was just 'jammin' with the verse , i started singing
"where is your heart if its not... with me" and thought to myself i must have surely heard this from somewhere, i usually have lyrics i type autogoogled and returned no matching search. Its just a simple verse i was sure it had been taken.

does anyone know of where i could of heard this verse before in any song, it must be a song from the 80s i think

the closest thing i could think of is Fiest "is this how my heart behaves.."
much appreciated for the help

Google says no, but as a wise man once said:

"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination...And don’t bother concealing your thievery—celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: “It’s not where you take things from—it’s where you take them to."

This is from an old interview, and a well-known story about Paul McCartney's not know if "Yesterday" was original or not:

Clash: Moving onto ‘Yesterday’, that song was apparently a year in the making - what took so long getting that right?
Paul McCartney: Was it? I don’t remember it taking a year. It must have been from when I actually had the melody to when I’d finished it all. I dreamed the melody one day in London when I was staying at Jane Asher’s house, who was my girlfriend at the time, and I was staying there and I woke up one morning with the song in my head. So, I went round for weeks - first of all to John, and then to George, Ringo, George Martin, various people - and said, ‘What’s this tune, man? I can’t get it out of my head, what is it?’ And no one could figure it out, so for a couple of weeks I thought, ‘Well, I must have written it then’, cos all those people had pretty good knowledge of what songs were either around or had been. So, I had the tune, and then I blocked it out with, [sings verse melody] “Scrambled eggs / Oh my baby, how I love your legs”, which was the first lyric, and I just used to goof with that for a while. And then, I was reminded recently by Bruce Welch, of Cliff Richard’s band The Shadows, that he had a flat in the south of Portugal, and he was a mate and he said to me, ‘If you ever want to use the flat, be my guest.’ I don’t know if he ever expected me to show up, but I did! I landed in Lisbon with Jane Asher, and we had to drive from there down to the Algarve. It was a long, dusty, hot drive with nothing to do, so sitting in the back of this car I just started thinking of words, and over those three hours or so, I figured out what I wanted to do. I’d forgotten that bit, but Bruce reminded me recently; he said, ‘Yeah, don’t you remember? You came to the flat and I was just moving out, you were going to move in, and you said, ‘Have you got a guitar?’’ And he said, ‘Yeah, but it’s right-handed - you’re left-handed.’ I said, ‘It doesn’t matter.’ I could just about fudge the chords. He said to me, ‘You sang ‘Yesterday’ - you had all the words to it.’ So yeah, he reminded me of that. And then I’m not sure how long it took to get it to the sessions - maybe we weren’t recording at that point; it sounds like we weren’t if I was on holiday... We’d be having a break or something. So probably when we got back in the studio in Abbey Road I then [started it], so I’m not sure if that whole process was a year but that was the story.

Then there is this reporting on similarities to Nat King Cole's Answer Me.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3050614.stm

-Vinnie in Juneau
Yes, that is very close, indeed. Could well have been where the lyrics came from, subconsciously speaking, of course. I think Paul's original concern was with melody, as he roamed about singing his "Scrambled Eggs" bit to all of his chums. But I like this reaction:

However Sir Paul's spokesman told BBC News Online: "To me the two songs are about as similar as Get Back and God Save the Queen."

Nice job, pulling up this article. Thanks!

Top Bottom