Honu Tenor HK-T?

ukeCANjam

Reaction score
I've been interested in Honu tenor's for a while now, they sound pretty neat. :)

However, I can't find much info on them, but I managed to run into this link :

http://www.kalaukulele.com/Kala Ukulele Paypal/Product_list_HONU UKULELE_1.html

It's a HK-T model, and I can't find it anywhere except Kala's site, and not Honu.

Does anyone know why? Or have this ukulele?

Thank you! :p

This is just my opinion. I think honu focuses on the japanese market more than the american market. I've played a tenor similar to the one you linked and it sounded nice. A little quiet but thw koa was sweet on it.

The lowdown on that Honu

I've been interested in Honu tenor's for a while now, they sound pretty neat. :)

However, I can't find much info on them, but I managed to run into this link :

http://www.kalaukulele.com/Kala Ukulele Paypal/Product_list_HONU UKULELE_1.html

It's a HK-T model, and I can't find it anywhere except Kala's site, and not Honu.

Does anyone know why? Or have this ukulele?

Thank you! :p
Kala distributed the Honu in the past, maybe 2 years ago. That model isn't made any longer. You can view the new models on the big Island Ukulele site. They are made much better now than when Kala had them. The finish on the Honu is fantastic. The owner of the company is in the tone wood business and sells to many top end makers so you can bet he uses primo materials. i love the koa buttons on the tuners.
Big Island is soon to launch their mahogany series in satin and gloss. The headstock will differ from the Honu's. We are line to get some of the first. Can't wait!

Kala distributed the Honu in the past, maybe 2 years ago. That model isn't made any longer. You can view the new models on the big Island Ukulele site. They are made much better now than when Kala had them. The finish on the Honu is fantastic. The owner of the company is in the tone wood business and sells to many top end makers so you can bet he uses primo materials. i love the koa buttons on the tuners.
Big Island is soon to launch their mahogany series in satin and gloss. The headstock will differ from the Honu's. We are line to get some of the first. Can't wait!

So this model is no longer for sale?

Yeah, I am interested in the Tenor Traditional, and you seem like a really big Honu fan, so how are they?

Yup, mahogany will be great! :)

Visit their site Big Island Ukulele Co. and check out their "Products" page. The TR-KRGT (539.99) comes closest as far as price is concerned and the only cutaway available is their TRC-KXXX (949.99). Both are pictured below.

tr-krgt.jpg
trc-kxxx.jpg

So this model is no longer for sale?

Yeah, I am interested in the Tenor Traditional, and you seem like a really big Honu fan, so how are they?

Yup, mahogany will be great! :)

I think that they are a well made great sounding instrument. We started selling them in January 09 and haven't had any problems. I think most people are thrilled to get such a well built solid koa uke at that price point.
The traditional model is a real players instrument. Sorry to sound like a commercial but I do like em.:D

I just got my hands on a Honu traditional tenor today from another member here. I'm already hooked, and I'm up way later than I should be because I'm still playing

I just got my hands on a Honu traditional tenor today from another member here. I'm already hooked, and I'm up way later than I should be because I'm still playing

Ah, I heard you got it from Nuprin! You lucky son of a gun! :wallbash:
What a great price on it too!

Thank you UkeRepublic for all your info! I'm pretty sure Honu will be my next uke!

I recently took an all Koa Honu soprano along to a Steven Sproat workshop. It caused a lot of interest, Steven himself loved it and commented on how well it sounded and was made. We ordered several more yesterday and they we be on the Southern Ukulele Store site as soon as they arrive. Ours came with Ko'olau Gold strings fitted which may have something to do with them sounding a little quiet. The quality is excellent and they look amazing.
Paul.

I don't know if there is a difference between the Kala Honus and the regular Big Island Honus, but I really love the one I have - a regular Big Island traditional concert. The finishing is very clean and impeccable even for the cheapest traditional models - the best I've seen in a ukulele so far (though to be fair, I haven't seen that many ukuleles. :D). The sound is sweet! I use Worth CMs with mine, and the tone is very clear and nice. Basically, it's a gorgeous ukulele with a gorgeous sound well worth its price. It's definitely a keeper for me.

I had no idea they're going to have a mahogany line! Can't wait to see what they would be like.

Top Bottom