Worth Fat Strings

Sambient

Reaction score
I know I'm not the only one who has been curious about these.
I figured I'd post my experience with them so far and maybe others will add their take on them.

I'm still figuring out what I like in strings as far as thick/thin and tension. My first exploration of Worth strings was with brown lights, which I like.
This time I invested in clears.
A recent addition to the household was my blue beater, a High School Musical concert uke by Washburn. Purchased at a discount place, it reminded me more of another Disney franchise: Toy Story. In particular, the character named Buzz.
It did get a little quick attention at the local luthier in exchange for some lunch money, but there was still an occasional remnant of buzz.
The fat strings pretty much solved that.
They are a harder string, but I know the high tension is part of that.
Louder, more resonant. Yet not harsh. So far, this is one of the most dramatic conversions strings have provided to any of my cheapies.

My husband is liking these strings even more than I. But he's a lifelong musician who has favored heavy gauge strings on his guitars. I might see if he'd like the other half of this set for his Lanikai concert.
If there's a situation again where I think I might want to try fat strings, I'm checking out the brown ones next time.

Share your experience.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I've always been kind of curious about these.

I hope it's not bad form to bump my own thread like this. I had this particular uke out last night.
I am still very impressed with how drastically changed my blue beater is with the addition of these strings.
I wish the hard tension was easier for my bony femme fingers to handle because the sound is quality. I just don't have the endurance to play for as long on these.
Though everything was a half step down from the last time I'd had this uke out, it had stayed in tune with itself.
The rehabilitation of this crappy uke has made me feel like almost anything can be loved into playability.

If you're thinking of trying these, and if you can handle the high tension, hesitate no more. Do it.

I put the other half of this set on another uke that was needing rehabilitation. Again, fret buzz cured.
The patient this time was a Vineyard Zebrawood concert I got off ebay, that in addition to having an undisclosed nick on the back, didn't sound great. And the friction tuners were a tad loose.
The sound on this really didn't impress me. The Zebrawood was laminate and it had nothing going for it with the nicked up Aquilas it arrived with.
Ukulele makeover. The sound is now hearty.
I have concerns about the high tension nature of these pulling the friction tuners loose more easily. Anyone have insight as to this being a potential factor?
Again, the hard and high tension is a bit much for me, though I also recognize my fingertips are spectacularly tender at the moment as I'd cut my nails.
On the other hand, I can see myself using these strings more when I want to fiddle about with slide type playing.
I'm giving this uke to my Dad to get him started. The concert size and now the high tension strings will probably make this a good fit for him. And now it sounds like the quality of instrument I'd like it to be.

I would also like to mention that I wish I'd not gotten my husband so many other sets of uke strings for Christmas. He seems to be most impressed with these fat strings for his tastes. He can play harder and get more projection. But he doesn't want me buying him more strings yet. Yeah, we'll see.

Top Bottom