clip on pickup. your views?

raecarter

Reaction score
I don't fancy drilling a hole on my kala so does anyone know if clip on pickups ok I think they're made by cherub?

Excellent I'm assuming they are the same principal. It would be for recording on my digital 8 track and open Mic nights. Ultimately would it be better installing a DIY under saddle pickup?

Not sure of the Cherub brand but I have a Kala clip on and it works great.

You might be thinking of a clip-on tuner. I think raecarter is talking about Cherub brand clip on pickup for recording or amplifying ukes. I've seen them where they clip on the head stock and ones made for violins that clip on the sound hole. The ones for the headstock gave a really metallic distorted sound, and I haven't heard the other kind on a ukulele.

Check out K&K Big Shot pickups. They stick a small element on the soundboard and a jack on the side that can be removed if you want to get rid of it down the line. they sound great (I have one on my soprano flea and use it on stage all the time).

Having a cherub pick-up for my uke, I can safely say that it's not brilliant as a way of amplification. However, I don't having much to compare it to. You get a really nasty hum for the amount of uke noise. But definitely go for one if you want to as they don't cost much and make a good job for what they are. Just don't expect the sort of quality you get with an under-bridge.

You might be thinking of a clip-on tuner. I think raecarter is talking about Cherub brand clip on pickup for recording or amplifying ukes. I've seen them where they clip on the head stock and ones made for violins that clip on the sound hole. The ones for the headstock gave a really metallic distorted sound, and I haven't heard the other kind on a ukulele.

Check out K&K Big Shot pickups. They stick a small element on the soundboard and a jack on the side that can be removed if you want to get rid of it down the line. they sound great (I have one on my soprano flea and use it on stage all the time).

Yep, misread it. My bad.:confused:

a

thnks for the help everyone I won't be plugging it into an amp but an 8 track that is quote a hood one so hopefully ill be able to sort the hum out. I think if I record two tracks simultaneously one through the clip on pickup and one through a mic it should give the sound some depth?

Well the cherub arrived and I can confirm that clip on pickups are ok but not incredible. The sound quality on my zoom mrs8 with it plugged in varied greatly believe it or not depending on the positioning of the pickup on the headstock. I found the best position is bottom corner with the clip on the diagonal. Now u can record through a Samson xlr Mic on one input and the clip on pickup on another. If I record them simultaneously I get a full recording. So not bad for 5 quid!

Top Bottom