Kalei Gamiao

Ahnko Honu

Reaction score
First time I saw Kalei Gamiao perform was at the recent 'Ukulele Guild of Hawai'i exhibition held on November 21st. This young man was amazing with a allot of his style Spanish Flamenco based. I was thoroughly impressed and bought his CD and have not removed it from my car's CD player yet. His album has absolutely no songs you want to fast forward thru, very one is great listening.
Anyways I JUST discovered he has a YouTube channel so enjoy. :shaka:
http://www.youtube.com/user/KaleiGamiao

Ahnko, his debut album came out last year . . .

contemporary_ukulele_instrumental_12162008_kalei_gamiao_3674.jpg

1. Flow
  2. Shore Break
  3. Sabor A Mi
  4. Kiss From a Rose
  5. Ukuele Fiddle
  6. If
  7. Looking Through the Eyes of Love (Theme from "Ice Castles")
  8. Paukaulia
  9. Just Cruising
  10. Mokuleia
  11. Escape

Did you get a copy? All the songs are awesome but "Flow" and "If" are my favorites. I see his YouTube channel has mostly songs NOT on his album so I'm hoping his next album is not too far off and has these songs included.

WOW I was just looking thru the album jacket and most of the songs are his original compositions, very talented kid!

Last edited:
Kalei is a great guy. Incredible musician, and very personable, to boot. When he gave us a few cds, I immediately looked at his song selection. I was blown away by how he arranged Kiss from a Rose. He also does an incredible job of Malaguena, ala Gordon Mark, but made into his own.

Assuming that was directed to me, yes, Kalei gave me a copy at Wine Country Fest. He defeinately has a gift for playing and composing and he is a really good kid to boot.

Aloha Dom, question was directed at Kanaka916 but I like your answer too. :)
Can't wait for his next CD.

Kalei is a great guy. Incredible musician, and very personable, to boot. When he gave us a few cds, I immediately looked at his song selection. I was blown away by how he arranged Kiss from a Rose. He also does an incredible job of Malaguena, ala Gordon Mark, but made into his own.

Amen, For someone with SO much talent he is very soft spoken and humble, a very likable guy.

he actually goes to hcc, i saw him around campus before. i think i had asked if anyone could transpose his kissed by a rose a loooong time ago, i heard him play it outside onstage from class

he actually goes to hcc, i saw him around campus before. i think i had asked if anyone could transpose his kissed by a rose a loooong time ago, i heard him play it outside onstage from class

He played "kissed by a rose" this past Sunday at Pipeline Cafe along with some other phenomenal playing.

Ahnko Honu,
Tried to PM you but it appears you don't accept them so I will just put it here. Just wanted to thank you for your post because it brought my attention back to Kalei. As soon as I got back from Wine Country Fest I looked him up on YT and found the video of him playing Mach4. I immediately tried to figure it out and it just was not happening. Couldn't even begin to get past the nice little muted part. I revisited it yesterday and it came together in just a few minutes. I have the first 1:18 pretty much wired at this point. Now, the rest of it, who knows. But I'm having fun with it and I thank you for that.

Ahnko Honu,
Tried to PM you but it appears you don't accept them so I will just put it here. Just wanted to thank you for your post because it brought my attention back to Kalei. As soon as I got back from Wine Country Fest I looked him up on YT and found the video of him playing Mach4. I immediately tried to figure it out and it just was not happening. Couldn't even begin to get past the nice little muted part. I revisited it yesterday and it came together in just a few minutes. I have the first 1:18 pretty much wired at this point. Now, the rest of it, who knows. But I'm having fun with it and I thank you for that.

Hmm that's weird, my PM box only 2/3rd full and not disabled but I haven't received a PM in over 3 weeks and it's usually a daily thing. Have to check with admins to see what's up.
If anyone's going to figure out Mach4 it will be you. I can't even keep track of his finger tips and gave up at 0:04. :D I finally did something good for fellow UU'er and I'm honored it was you. :shaka:

Top Bottom