I Promise this is the LAST one...

Ahnko Honu

Reaction score
...for 2009. :D Just picked up this old wood peg Koa pineapple that I am pretty sure is a early Kamaka since they did have a patent on the pineapple design still in effect. I think finally a worthy replacement for my Dad's lost one.
Local seller for $100. ;)

Old Hawaiian trick: When you start kanikapila with your friends you give your 'ukulele a "drink" of beer poured on the headstock, 'ukulele happy now and hangs on tight to the pegs so won't go out of tune. :D

...for 2009. :D Just picked up this old wood peg Koa pineapple that I am pretty sure is a early Kamaka since they did have a patent on the pineapple design still in effect. I think finally a worthy replacement for my Dad's lost one.
Local seller for $100. ;)

i was gonna buy that ! it was on ebay ? they had one just like it

Those pictures above are from the eBay auction, I actually just got back from meeting seller during his lunch break and picking it up. This 'ukulele looks as good in person as in the pictures. One thing I noticed on close inspection is it doesn't look like Koa, more like Monkey Pod though the curly grain is still very visible and pretty. I'm guessing this is an early Ka Lai (Ka Lae) because it's Monkey Pod (Ohai), and it has no Kamaka identification on it, just the Hawaii Territorial Seal on the headstock. It still had the old strings and when I tuned it right there it sounded great, very crisp with great projection and sustain. Can't wait to restring.

Top Bottom