Melokia/KPK

kenikas

Reaction score
I have searched the previous posts on the Melokia and Koa Pili Koko ukes and am wondering if those who own them are still happy after playing them for a few months. Also would like to know if anyone has experience with the Melokia Mahogany since most of the posts are about the Acacia. And how have dealings with the sellers on ebay, localzkine and/or islandstylemusic?

I got a Melokia Concert Acacia from localzkine. Good transaction and shipment, no problems there.

If you want pictures I could send you some. Good lookin' uke. It is truly solid wood, as well. The only problem I have with it is the intonation is a bit off. Wasn't given a thorough setup in that department.

I have had it for around 4 months and am still happy with it, however I did just purchase myself an early christmas gift of Acacia Tenor with slotted headstock (which I wish every uke came with) from MGM. Just had some extra cash lying around. Come next spring semester the Melokia may have to go. :(

That is, if I could even find a buyer with the reputation they have.

I have an acacia Soprano KPK. I got it over a year ago. It is a pretty cool instrument. I am still happy with it. I don't play it all that much as of recently, I like my Concert ukes better. I have not had any issues with cracking that quite a few KPK apparently had issues with. I got mine from MGM well over a year ago (around Aug 08) so it was set up nicely and the customer service was great. Pretty sure he hasn't carried any KPK is a while though. For the money that are pretty nice solid ukulele. If you have the opportunity it would be nice to see the uke before you buy it.

I've had a KPK tenor for about a year. It sounds good, plays good, and has held up. The only real issue is that the tailpiece is glued on just slightly out of whack such that one can fall off the fretboard when playing very high, but it only bothers me when I think about it.

I would not buy another one--there are better instruments available in that price range--but I wouldn't use mine for kindling.

Thanks for the responces. I'm still quite new at the uke and along with them really needing the bridge and nut replaced with bone (or corian, tusc, etc.) and the other quirks, after doing the math it's really not that much more to go with an uke with a more solid reputation. I've bought all but one of my ukes from MGM and they have always been excellent, and after doing the math for a case etc. I'll probably be going with him for this purchase as well and have narrowed it down to a Kala ASMC solid mahogany, an Ohana CK35GS, or a Kala solid acacia. I've also talked to Mike at Mainland, but am still having a hard time getting around the rope binding!

Top Bottom